Grade A Effort

About a year ago, I tutored a fourth grade student. I was inspired to perform this deed by my mom. She is a school teacher and I see how much she enjoys teaching her students. Her teaching made me realize that I want to help kids out, also. When I confronted my mother about what I could do to help children out, she told me I should consider tutoring at a nearby school. At first I was a bit nervous because I never really experienced a one-on-one tutoring session before. In spite of this, my mom reassured me and told me that everything was going to be all right. The day had finally arrived when I was scheduled to tutor a student. When I walked into the tutoring room, I saw the fourth grade student who was awaiting my help. I must say the child made me less nervous because he was eager for me to help him with his work. On our first day I was a bit overwhelmed by how much work he had; however I was glad I could assist him in almost every subject. Our first session was very successful and I was proud that I could help out a struggling student. Since then, I have aided the child with his homework every once in a while. This whole occurrence has made me a better person because it helped me appreciate the wonderful gifts God has given: intelligence, patience, and compassion. This simple deed made me realize that I can contribute to my community in many ways, even if the deed is just tutoring a student. I hope that many students will be able to dedicate some of their free time towards the younger community because the youth of today are the leaders of tomorrow.