If I Could, I Would | Teen Ink

If I Could, I Would

By JeremiahCrans BRONZE, OLATHE, Kansas
JeremiahCrans BRONZE, OLATHE, Kansas

“If I could, I would” I hear that a lot from people who compliment an outfit of mine or hairstyle. I find myself looking back at that statement and must respond to that as “yes, you can”. It shows the level of confidence that teens in every size, shape, and color has in themselves in this generation. This stems from the Internet, teens are exposed to the “perfect image” and these “perfect” bodies wearing expensive clothes. Teens are exposed to hate from a never-ending parade of stupid. That big girl in your science class is being picked apart in the comment section of a picture in a swimsuit, she is being called “fat’’ because “girls like her” should cover all that up. That boy in your math class is being called homophobic slurs for wearing makeup in his photos.

There is no representation from when we are kids, to when we are teens. Little girls of color are looking at a whole Barbie aisle, the quintessential blonde, blue-eyed, white California girl. There’s hardly any representation for anyone outside of what is the ideal construct that society tells us is desirable. Branching off that, it shows that idea of “If I could, I would’ stems from a place of insecurity that the media has conditioned us to think is correct. Without representation in the media,  people who get hate online for being different can’t find within themselves the beauty in their individuality.

The big girl you know has struggled to find beauty icons for girls like her. She scrolls through fashion magazines and social media only to find skinny girls wearing clothes the amount of a college tuition. She would go on crazy diets and cry because of the damaging words in her comment section.

The quote “sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never break me.’’ really speaks to this. Everyone has an opinion, not everyone will agree with your fashion choices or your hairstyle. Something everyone else doesn’t have is your individuality, your passion because you can become your own representation for people like you. We live in a world pressured by the constant societal norm. Break free from that stigma of your self-hate.  Every diamond has imperfections, but it is too pure to watch it chip away. Sometimes your torturer can become your remedy. That boy became the new face of CoverGirl and created his own makeup line. that big girl found her worth when she reached her full potential and became a plus-size model. They’re going to come to terms with all their insecurities and all of their differences. The darker, deeper parts of their soul, They're going to bare it all and love them self for it. If we put down our phones and focused on what really matters we could… and we would.

In society, we are put into a box and if you don't fit in you find yourself struggling to love yourself. In a social media obsessed world its hard to find representation in others like you. When coming to terms with your individuality and uniqueness you hope to find a light and create your own representation and self-love to make a path for people like you.