Brandon | Teen Ink

Brandon

By LukeBowman BRONZE, Saratoga, California
LukeBowman BRONZE, Saratoga, California

Although I was a pretty nice kindergartener, there was this one fifth grader, who just didn't like me at all. “Hey Luke!! Come back here!! I’ma Beat you on the gall dang black top!!” “What did I ever do to you tho?” I yelled. “Cut that smack talk, Luke. You know what you did!”

But I did not know what I had done.

The day was very hot, the black top, looking like charcoal. The grass looked yellow, and had a crispy look to it. I was running away from him, heading towards the unsturdy, small, blue playground.  “Woooooooooooow. Ya really think you can hide from me? You is crazy!!” I tried to run as fast as I can towards the playground, trying to avoid his big fluffy face. Then I stopped, turned and hid from him. I was hiding in a plastic tube, the ones you see with bumpy ridges on top, just spewing out of the ground. I could hear my heart, beating out of my chest, and the tube absorbs a tremendous amount of heat, and you could probably tell if you were looking at my drenched face. “Come out Luke! I just want to play” I thought I peed my pants. Oh wait, I did. However, my blue Nike shorts were already wet due to the hot weather. “Well, well, well. Look who I have here,” he snarled. He started to crack his knuckles like he was trying to be the tough guy you see in those cheesy movies.

I started to scream so loud, the echo was ringing in the inside of the tunnel. He grabbed me by the wrist and shook me upright. “Please Don’t hurt me!” I whined. My heart was pounding and I was exploding with fear. “Well guess what? I gon’ beat ya’ up!” He said. “I swear brandon, if you beat me up I am gonna tell the principle and you are gonna die!”  sadly, my threat just made him blow up in an annoying giggle. That made me want him to hurry up and kill me, so I would not be able to hear his corrupt giggle.

“Too bad Luke! This gon’ be revenge!” he let go of me with a jolt, took a step back cracked his knuckles again, and was getting ready to blow the biggest punch he could possibly do. I saw my life flash before my eyes. “Watch out! Here I come!” Yelled Brandon.

I decided to grab the nearest thing around me. I didn’t know what it was, but I decided to throw it at brandon. *THUNK*  then, I opened my eyes to see a dream come true. Brandon lying on the ground motionless, “Take that Brandon!” No response. But that didn't matter. I felt like the hero in my own action movie. I was supposed to walk home, but it started to rain. I couldn't seem to understand how it would be possible to start raining, after such a hot day, but it was humid.

That night I couldn't sleep. Who knew what happened to Brandon. Maybe his body is still lying there, motionless, expressionless, lifeless. I heard my mom’s footsteps coming into my room. She came, leaning on the door. “What?”  her eyes looked fictional. Her face looked pale, white, and moist. Her mouth opened with only two words to come out. They were worst words you could ever hear. “He’s ....”

I used to be bullied for being overweight, but after this experience, I have learned to accept myself for who I am, I am proud of my body, and I am inspired to work to improve my health.