Little Voices | Teen Ink

Little Voices

By sprinter BRONZE, Bellingham, Washington
sprinter BRONZE, Bellingham, Washington

They are not seen. And yet, they are there. Always. They sound like tiny bells, always chiming in to a situation. The start with a simple 'no'. Then quickly, they escalate to 'why are you doing this' or 'you should feel good about this action'. Sometimes it is praise but usually they are just constant whispers, reminders of the right and the wrong, the yes and the no. You can tell if you have pleased them, they will tell you so. If you don’t, they let you know.

They will berate you with questions of your doings. They ask you questions about you wanted to overlook. The seep into your head in constant chants, eventually, channeling into your actions like water in a stream. They dictate you doing, controlling your thoughts to put out into the world.  They either congratulate you or make you second-guess yourself.

The little voices in our heads. They don’t mean we are crazy. As a matter of fact they keep us from doing just that. They tell us when we should stop and maybe when we have gone too far. They alert us when we really shouldn’t be doing something, or that what we are doing is right. Everybody’s voice is different. Some are strong, commanding everything you do while others are anemic and struggle to be heard. Not everyone knows about their voice, their tiny light. Also, people voices are different colors. Most are bright, alive and thriving. Other are dark, having been ignored for too many years.  Sometimes people have to discover it, their tiny miracle living within you. You must kindle this minuscule spark, let it live and let it grow into a roaring fire of morals, standard, values. But smothered or freed, pushed down or let out they are always there. So now, I realize this as I stand here, my inner voice screaming don’t, don’t jump.

As I have aged, I have noticed that my generation is growing up in a time when people are doubting themselves, pushing down that though of the wrong and the right. And because of this, horrible things can occur. As well as humiliation, public shaming and bullying can be a cause of these unthinkable acts. You can do things to stop this from happening to you or someone you know, by listening to that little voice that says ‘no’.