unicorns | Teen Ink

unicorns

By mimi ruiz BRONZE, La Canada, California
mimi ruiz BRONZE, La Canada, California

Jamie was a tall, pale girl whose lips always looked like she had just eaten a cherry popsicle.  She spent her whole life thinking she had it all figured out. If all things went according to plan, she would take over the family business in just a few months. Small events and people have a habit of exploding right in your face. But as any other story goes, Jamie was no ordinary girl. She was never “cool” like she wanted to be. Even though she had the body all the girls wanted,she always seemed to be behind. The other girls did not understand her unique personality, so they would ridicule her tremendously. But from a countless amount of television shows, we know that is how all teenage girls treat each other.

Jamie was usually alone. She would watch from a distance and she the other girls were always going on adventures and doing fun activities together,without her. But they didn’t do kind things. Jamie would spend her saturday afternoons volunteering and helping out her neighbors. One day Jamie overhears the girls say they were going to the cliff to have fun. Years of hearing her mother say “Never near the cliff  at the end of the tunnel” became a joke among the youth. So they planned this outing to get Jamie upset. But Jamie always knew her mother was right and would not near the cliff. But this was  a trial for Jamie. She wanted to be like the other girls, dancing, singing, painting each others nails. Days passed and Jamie saw a countless number of pictures if the other girls talking about their experience on the cliff.  She wanted to see what it was like to feel the rush the cliff seemed to give the other kids. So she began to wonder.

Jamies mom could see the desire in her eyes and would spend her nights, late under her a tree with Jamie talking out her feelings. Not only was Jamie losing her friends because she wouldn’t do the cool things they were doing, but she heard a voice in her head that would tell her these things. Jamies mom reasoned with her, “being different is not a bad thing”. But Janie never wanted to listen.

On her way to her house one evening, Jamie saw an opportunity to be like the rest of them. She went to the tunnel and stood near the cliff. And nothing happend. She then proceed to walk ever so slightly to the edge. Jamie felt no difference after her new experience. 

“Enough!” thought Jamie, “I am doing this just so I can be cool but no one is watching. Being different is not a bad thing”. Right then sparkles began blowing in the wind. Bubbles were everywhere. What could this magical and fantastic looking display mean? Right then, a unicorn jumped up from the cliff and exclaimed “ I am here. Stop this nonsense!”

“What non-sense?” asked Jamie.

“I...I’m here to stop you from hurting yourself …” said the unicorn

Jamie then realized she was talking to a Unicorn and began to freak out just the perfect amount. “Who and what are you?”

The unicorn used its long platinum colored hair to captivate Jamie's attention. “I am your subconscious. I am here to show you that being different can be a great thing”.

Jamie all of a sudden was inside a rusty barn. Dozens of horses were in this place, covered in flowers of all types.  But only one unicorn was in there. Jamie was freaking out. Why was a random horse with a horn on it s head, gleaming rainbow sparkles talking to her? Why were there so many flowers? Nothing made sense. At that moment, she realized that this unicorn was still talking to her, but in slow motion the white wall. But slowly things started to go back to normal. She was talking to this unicorn like they were old chums. She began to wonder what would happen if others knew about this. Jamie finally had a friend that she  could talk to.

Jamie's head was spinning. She couldn't keep still.

Jamie woke up in a hospital what seemed like only a short while after. Sobs could be heard from all corners of the room. Jamie looked down and saw she was in a full body cast. Jamies mom was the first to realize Jamie had awoken. “Sweaty,” she said softly, “you have fallen off the cliff and have broken almost every part of you body.”

Jamie realized at that moment, she would be cool now, having survived a fall from a cliff and all.

know who you re