A Uniform Way of Life | Teen Ink

A Uniform Way of Life

April 21, 2015
By CaraP2015 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
CaraP2015 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It is a stressed time for our local and nationwide schools to endure the lack of participation one has in a classroom. Having the creative mind be put to work through the projection of clothing may be a part of the scandalous and over distracting reason. With girls walking into classrooms with neon shorts, spaghetti-strapped tank tops, short skirts, or dyed hair, the classroom will no longer be a sanctuary of learning, but a show and tell of skin. Wouldn't the female population rather stop the humiliation of s***-shaming and objectifying by their male peers? Haven't they seen the way they're clothing has affected the lifestyles of not


only themselves but the grades and attention of boys and other girls? To make such a unique stance in ones wardrobe as to wear a tank top that may show mid-drift, shorts or sandals, may lead to the loss of education in the local and nationwide schools.


On an average school day in the end of June, the classroom’s attention is not only on the last remaining days of school but on the remainder of clothes each girl barely has on. It has come to find that when a girls shoulder is revealed or the length of her shorts show above her middle thigh the classroom is in an judgemental state to s***-shame and sexualize a girl based off her appearance. Obviously, with such a distraction, the matters have to be taken into hand. In future, we can see conflicts such as picketing or rioting for the sake of dress code such as the conflict “ In March [where] a group of middle school girls in Evanston, Illinois picketing their school for the right to wear leggings” where they were referred to as “ ‘skanks’ with inappropriate clothing,” (Carroll, Rory). These conflicts may interfere more with the academics and the grades of each individual. To resolve such a problem, we much search for a equalizing yet appropriate solution: uniforms.


This will resolve not only the academics and the grades overall, but the amount of bullying and disrespect the ladies will receive from their fellow peers and male oglers. But yet the uniform will be set to protect the girl from any freedom and to maintain her equality amongst her female population. Yes, the boy population will remain to have their own and normal dress code. What is the point of changing that which has not made any conflict? “Students who were getting ‘dress-coded,’ or disciplined for their attire, tended to be girls who were more developed,” says TIME magazine (Docterman). To bring equality to our generation of all sizes and shapes, our society should promote the use of uniforms to help females understand that school is not the place to be influenced or made example of based off of negative actions. They should only be made into examples if the uniform is not respected and they want to continue their daily lives being s***-shames, it is their fault by that time.

 

Hopefully the use of uniforms will better impact the rape and sex object culture by cleaning the slate of each individual girl from their originality and have them be respected by their personalities, not their ability to put an outfit together. Boys will be less motivated to talk to girls based on the bland prospective they will soon grow which may spark a boom in grades and attendance for academics.


Education will be restored to its happy place of pure teachings and the boys of our generation will no longer have to face the sexualization of the girl sitting in front of them because “girls wearing leggings, tank tops, low-cut blouses or too-short shorts or skirts are deemed ‘too distracting’ for the boys to handle,” where the uniform will be a great placeholder to restrict the girls body and suit the classroom more comfortable for the boys and teachers (Schools are Still…).

 

 

Works Cited
Carroll, Rory. “ Students Protest ‘S***Shaming’ high school dress codes with mass walkouts.”
theguardian.com. 24 September 2014. Web. 8 February 2015.
Dockterman,Eliana. “ Schools are still S***-Shaming Girls While Enforcing Dress Code.” time.com.
17 September 2014. Web. 9 February 2015.
Dockterman,Eliana. “ When Enforcing School Dress Codes Turns into S*** Shaming.”time.com.
25 March 2014. Web. 8 February 2015.
Picture: The Courier, Artist: Unknown. Source: http://gildedgreen.com/old/comics.php


The author's comments:

I created this piece over the strict and unequal treatment of girls who have been shamed by not only their high school community, but by the hidden rules teacher have made to "protect" these girl from horrible standards. While making them cover up, we are giving the those who look at shoulders and legs as a sexual object the power to determine how we dress and eventually, how we act. 

 

By standing up against those standards by using sarcasm and rhetorical devices, I hope to embody my original inspiration ( "A Modest Modern Proposal" by Johnathan Swift) and bring light to those who see through the extremist ideas.