Stop Bullying | Teen Ink

Stop Bullying

March 24, 2015
By mol567 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
mol567 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My high school is a populated school, and students find it hard to belong to a team or club, especially if they have a disability. Junior year, I was asked to start a dance club by the adviser of Best Buddies. Best Buddies is a club where students with disabilities hang out with other students. The purpose of the dance club was to provide a club with acceptance and diversity. The leaders designed t-shirts, made locker decorations, printed flyers, and created a routine.


During my junior year, the dance club performed at the Best Buddies talent show. I saw enthusiasm and excitement in the dancers. During the performance, I danced next to a student who stood on stage with the biggest smile. The first year of dance club was a successful start. Being able to start this club prevented bullying because these students have been apart of a club and are being accepted a student in a club.


Once my senior year arrived, the dance club grew. The students learned a routine in three weeks. With the spare time, the leaders split the dancers into smaller groups to learn another routine. At the end of the season, the dance club performed at a varsity basketball game, and another performances. Being able to perform at a basketball game was a big deal for students with disabilities because they would have never had the chance to perform on a court. After the performance at the basketball game, the audience showed appreciation. They had school spirit and as the dance club walked off the court they cheered and told us we did a great job.


Knowing these students has been rewarding. I became good friends with one of the dancers in the club. We enjoyed going to a movie, and to the trampoline park, and I enjoyed teaching her a routine. I am hoping that in years, dance club will be popular and a stronger club. Being on the dance club, I realized that it doesn't matter how you dance, it’s the passion with which you dance!