Bullying | Teen Ink

Bullying

By kayla813 GOLD, North Lake, Wisconsin
kayla813 GOLD, North Lake, Wisconsin

As you walk into the hallway oyou observe pieces of paper littering every locker, each piece representing an effort made by the school to make every student feel appreciated. After the school had faced a bullying problem with an anonymous app, we had all returned to school with post it notes on our lockers. These notes would simply say things such as: “have a nice day” or “you’re so cool Taylor Swift would want to be your friend”. Positive Post-it notes may seem like a small gesture, but going to my school with all the brightly decorated lockers are those of athletes, it’s refreshing to see some acknowledgement that you matter in some way even if you do not partake in extracurricular activities. Also, the notes were written by students for students -- which shows a lot about the students here. It shows how the students are willing to put in their own free time to write positive notes for every student in the school in the aftermath of a bullying problem.

Also, this year my school has taken a new route in the attempt to prevent bullying by putting up whiteboards in the hallway with the idea that the students would write positive messages on them. Yes, sometimes the whiteboards have meaningless drawings on them, but most of the time you will see quotes on the whiteboards with a positive message. For the students who take the idea of the whiteboards seriously, these uplifting quotes will stick with them throughout the day. Also, it means  more to the students if the attempts to prevent or stop bullying is coming from other students. The tactics my school is using are effective and helps students interact with each other -- not only because the students come together to create notes, but also they come together to stop and talk about that quote they read on the whiteboard or the Post-it they found on their locker.