Stop Bullying | Teen Ink

Stop Bullying

By McKenna48 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
McKenna48 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

At a school with 2,300 kids and 2,300 different personalities, my high schoolis preventing and stopping bullying. High Schools are known  for bullies, but why not try to stop them? 

My school initiated a “No H8 Week” this year. I walked into school to see the lockers lined with brightly colored post it notes. As I got a closer look, each one had it’s own handwritten pick-me-up. These notes touched each student and greeted them with a positive start to their day. Positive posters were also hung throughout the week. This week of “No H8” was a way to remind people to be nice! Hopefully this method made bullies think twice before picking on an innocent kid.

My schoolalso has a Best Buddies club. This club  creates opportunities for kids with disabilities, by matching them up with a buddy. Both the buddy and the student hang out and do fun activities. The connection between a student and another student is effective at ending bullying. It creates friendships. And having a sister with autism, I understand the impact Best Buddies has. When my sister is in Best Buddies, I see her have the opportunity to have a close friend which is special to me.

Last year, her buddy spent every Tuesday and Thursday with her and they did things like going to the dollar store or went out to eat. For the first time in her life, someone called and the phone call  would be for her. I noticed how much she looked forward to these days that put a smile on her face. Instead of being bullied, she was gifted with a friend.

There’s so simple ways to boost someone’s self confidence, put a smile on a face that needs one, or create a friendship. They might not be huge strides, but they’re baby steps for creating a safe place--and a place absent of bullying--for students to learn.