Make A Difference | Teen Ink

Make A Difference

By schwarzenbacher SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
schwarzenbacher SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

During the football season, players met about what we (as a program) could do to make the community be a more enjoyable place. We decided to help out our Best Buddies program, which is an amazing program ran by students to help out students with disabilities. They make sure they have fun and enjoyable experiences at High School just like everybody else. The Best Buddies program ensures a pleasurable time by going on field trips and exploring the world and to meet astonishing people in our community.

So we gave our Best Buddies the experience of walking out on a football field during Friday night lights and feeling the roar of the crowd as the ground rattles. Our mission was to raise awareness for our Best Buddies and to show that anyone can stand up and stop bullying. This was one of the best nights of my life because I was able to see the community come together and say that bullying is not acceptable.

Every Friday, varsity players wear their jersey to show pride in their team. But this particular Friday, players gave students in Best Buddies their jersey instead for them to wear all day. It was an unbelievable sight seeing their eyes light up like the stars in the sky.

Suddenly, I hear the thundering of our crowd as the Best Buddies program storms onto our field at the fifty yard line. Each senior player was given the opportunity to walk their Best Buddie onto the field and introduce them both wearing the same numbered jersey. This was an unbelievable moment for me because not only did they announce our names but, I knew that i was making a difference by raising awareness to stop bullying.

That moment not only did Arrowhead say no to bullies but our community said no as well. That night I found a new respect for our Best Buddies as well as people that have been victims of bullies. After that marvelous night I will do my best to prevent bullying and will no longer be a bystander.