Community Is Key | Teen Ink

Community Is Key

March 25, 2015
By thony6408 BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
thony6408 BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Why tip toe through life only to arrive safely at death.


My high school is doing its best to combat bullying in school, but bullying is a deeper issue that has to be dealt with on an individual level. It’s the community and maturity that's effective against bullying, not the disciplinary action or school intervention.


The reality is that it’s up to the community and the  bystanders; not the school to eliminate bullying. The school can only provide a healthy social and learning environment., To stomp out the rest of bullying is up to us. 

I have been bullied myself so I understand the harmful repercussions and am reactive whenever I see it. In wrestling we are a team, a community, a family of sorts that have been reached out to by victims of hardship. The nature of the sport assures only those with strong character survive so it have been an outlet for many. I remember when someone joined with a muscle disorder telling me of his struggles. He told me of other sports he wanted to try but was afraid he would only be laughed at. This made me angry to the depths of my ability. I would see people laughing at him as if he was oblivious. In reality he was a normal, funny, and good kid stuck in a body he couldn't control. In an often times passive; but sometimes, aggressive way, I took it upon myself to inform these individuals of their utter ignorance.  Although he may not have won a match in the three years he has come out for wrestling, he keeps coming back because no one looks down on him and we all treats him as you would treat any teammate; with respect and support. A funny thing happened when this kid started building confidence in himself and had support; the ridicule stopped for it no longer affected him. This is the environment you find  that starves bullying like a flame with no oxygen.