Racism in Teens | Teen Ink

Racism in Teens

By Jarmany.Louis BRONZE, Marlborough, Massachusetts
Jarmany.Louis BRONZE, Marlborough, Massachusetts

Don't Be Looked As Who You Were, Be Looked On As Who You Will Be
~Jarmany Louis

Imprisoned, Held Back, Disabled, Crippled is how many of the “colored”  people feel when they're told they can't do something because they are too “ghetto” or because they are simply black. A lot of them hurt inside but they feel they will be made fun of  if they show it or try to explain it to  someone. Why does it still continue the monster that tears apart families. This monster isn't physically there but is mentally no one was born with this monster they were taught it, a pure hatred for others of different colored skin. This monster is known for a lot of horrible things this monster is racism. Many now ask themselves why? why My family, my ancestors, my fellow colored people, and why me. Some wish they weren’t this skin color.  Martin Luther King Jr. Once said  "When you suddenly find your tongue twisted and your speech stammering as you seek to explain to your six-year old daughter why she can’t go to the public amusement park that has just been advertised on television, and see the tears welling up in her eyes when she is told that Funtown is closed to colored children, and see ominous clouds of inferiority beginning to form in her little mental sky, and see her beginning to distort her personality by developing an unconscious bitterness toward white people, you will understand why we find it difficult to wait for change." Some still waiting for change today when they hear the word n**** slurred out of a persons mouth. Anger fills them inside but they do nothing to show it. When they hear a racist joke they find it difficult to comprehend why it is so funny to talk about another group of human beings struggle. Today teens look upon  their ancestors in a different way unlike the white or other nationalities. They ask why did they allow this to happen for so long? Today racism isn't as often as it was but its still there. The so called “colored”  have gone a long way from what has happened  a hundred years ago but we still have a long way to go from here. Today some of the Colored teens are proud to be called colored because they know what challenges their ancestors had to overcome. Some not as proud. Many talk to the fellow white friend about how happy they are to be in school with them. This is why i am proud to be “colored”.

My Familiy and Friends