The Weight of Peer Pressure | Teen Ink

The Weight of Peer Pressure

January 24, 2015
By Nizhoni Valdez BRONZE, Pueblo, Colorado
Nizhoni Valdez BRONZE, Pueblo, Colorado
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Everyone has experienced this difficulty more than once in their lifetime. Peer Pressure. Unfortunately it’s not something we can all hide from. So what do you do when the event presence itself? Do you say no or just give in?
    

Today we live in a generation that is a battle, a fight to be accepted. Sometimes being yourself is not enough to get by. As a result you change your attitude, clothes, hobbies maybe even your hair since everyone else is doing it. And it feels good finally becoming noticed, but eventually the fight becomes exhausting trying to be somebody who is a someone. Instead of surrendering,  you keep going doing things you hate, and dressing profoundly ridiculously while staring at the hair that took you an absurd amount of time to complete just to fit in with the status quo. In return you’re left a little depressed at yourself and above all, what you let yourself become. Rather than saying no, it was easier to believe you weren’t enough for the public’s eye so you just gave in.
     

Believing you are not enough for society is a form of intellectual or mental peer pressure. It is unspoken yet the most dangerous of any. Seeing your friends or others become seamlessly popular puts the pressure on you to find ways to do the same.Changing yourself is the primary way but can end in discomfort or self destruction. The best way to get out of this unspoken peer pressure would be to find things that make yourself happy or occupy your time in a positive way.
    

The meaning of “fun” of today’s era can be defined in many different terms. For example, if you are at a party and your friends are begging you to do something that’ll affect your life in a negative manner, this becomes a poor version of “fun” When you know saying no to them will you make you seem lame, but doing it will make you automatically cool, that is not “fun” that is common peer pressure. So now that you’re in it, how do you get out of it?
    

Nobody wants to hear the word “no” when they want something done. But eventually they’ll get over the circumstance as time moves on. This applies to most and if not any situations. If you feel saying no will hurt their feelings they’ll ultimately get over it and also know your limitations. So, even if it doesn’t feel like the best thing to do it is the right thing to do. After all, having complete control over your life is the strongest feature noticeable to the ones who endanger you.
   

In the end we are all going to encounter peer pressure. We are all going to be teased, we are all going to have to learn how to make a decision right for our future and health. It’s not something we can avoid our whole life. Peer pressure is going to present itself either way. So do you say no or just give in?