FLINTface | Teen Ink

FLINTface

October 22, 2014
By Jerzeygirl GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Jerzeygirl GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I have a confession. I am a bully.
When you think about it, everyone is. Have you ever called someone names? Or teased them? Or judged them? I don’t try to be a bully...sometimes it just happens.
When you are walking through the school halls and see a student wearing an outfit that you personally would never wear, what do you do? You judge them. But it is up to you to either keep your opinion to yourself or make that person feel bad, and that is when it becomes bullying.
Sometimes I tease my friends. I pick on them, but I never mean to hurt them. Sometimes one can feel bullied, and the bully doesn’t even know they are doing anything wrong. The bully thinks they are joking, just messing around, but that is not how the other person feels. If you are messing with one of your friends and the friend knows you are just kidding, but a bystander does not know it is all pretend just by watching; They could think you are the bully. 
Another form of bullying can be through technology. I have never experienced this type of bullying but I know it can still be painful. Bullies comment nasty words on people’s pictures, or message them hate mail. They threaten them, and make fun of them. I feel like bullying over the internet is a way for the bully to say what ever he wants to say without actually having to face the child he is harming. When you are talking to someone over the internet, you have no way to determine who they really are. Because of this bullies think they have the right to say whatever they want because they know they will not get caught.
A bully can also be found on a sports team. Sometimes the best person, or the one who thinks they are the best on the team will put down the ones who aren’t as good. Some schools have Freshman, Jv, and Varsity teams. This can be a problem because the varsity players think they have the right to pick on the freshman players just because they have a higher title.
I have realized that bullying is never the answer. Sometimes we don’t know we are being the bully, but when we do know we need to stop. If you are witnessing a bully, stand up to them. Be the bigger person and do what you know it right.