A Lesson From Our Nations Heroes

There are some days that change everything. In the blink of an eye, every event occurring in the past, every moment, is silenced and is now irrelevant. What takes pertinence over these treasured memories is the future, which longs to be explored. I have been told that living for tomorrow is more valuable than existing only in the past. I of all people sincerely hope, I genuinely believe, in the accuracy of this statement.

Determination is a complicated word, often used inappropriately. People I encounter are so very quick to place this label on someone, while the ones who are truly worthy will not wish to be called as such. Few individuals intrinsically possess this quality. Others do not. One thing is certain: people who should be considered determined are now a rare commodity in our society today. They also truly understand the value of living for what is available now.

Our way of life, I am afraid, has become more about appearance than anything else. We see more importance, as we sometimes should, in how others perceive us. Although this is a commonly expressed concern in today’s status-consumed world, I do not see us progressing any further without our people looking inside themselves and evaluating how they behave on a daily basis.

When I hear about the bullying issue in schools, as a student I immediately think back to the civil rights era. Where are the heroes or heroines who step in to defend the underdogs? Where are the people who are interested in making changes for the better? Our world, naturally, will never be “perfect.” If that was the case, we would be a utopian system and, clearly, a lot worse off. Where are the Martin Luther Kings or Rosa Parks’ of our generation? The ones who make change possible. Everyone knows that words have the power to help or damage someone’s self-esteem. There are always unkind people but children and adults alike who participate in bulling behavior are not bad. Sometimes, they can even benefit from encouragement themselves. Many schools have incorporated ignoring techniques for children who seem to be bothering others. This is not always the indefinite answer. When educators and other school personal study bullying and its effects on young children, they learn about the types of people who are likely to be the bullies, bystanders, or victims. The bullies tend to have home-life struggles and aggression concerns affecting their classroom etiquette as well as low self-esteem. No wonder they enjoy bringing others down. The victims are often less social than children their age or different in various other ways. What cannot be found in your textbooks is how to act upon what is right. This is a concept which I can only hope teachers of today have acquired. When something is unjust, no one should stand by and not act. There should be no fear of how others will respond. No thought of anyone else whatsoever. Also think back to when this craze began in the first place. It did not feel as noticeable in our nation’s past. People did what they had to. Because it was the right thing to do. Maybe we should take some of the lessons we learn in our American history classes and put them into action. We are being forced to sit through the tedious lectures anyway. Why not make the most of it?

SuzieQ777This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:59 pm:
Wow, this was really good and moving. Plus it gets the word out there for change. It really makes me want to take action. Well done :)

Hamzawaseem said...
Jul. 30, 2013 at 8:53 pm:
it was a though-provoking piece on the whole. good attempt!

FiddleBunny said...
Jul. 30, 2013 at 5:49 pm:
This was awesome! It got me thinking and relates school to issues in the real world.

Krasota-and-AngelsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 30, 2013 at 4:47 pm:
Nice job! I enjoyed your new perspective here. You really delved in deep and made a point to tie in America's history with bullying. I really appreciate this article. Keep on writing! :D

FallenoutofgraceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 27, 2013 at 1:32 pm:
wow.... utterly speechless your so good and i love how i can hear your voice through this your really passianite about this topic and it shows. keep it up becuase your going to goo far :)

NarutosimG said...
Jul. 23, 2013 at 10:14 am:
Wow! that was deep  what you write I like it :)

Jade.I.AmThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 22, 2013 at 8:52 pm:
I love this. Is was very clearly written and you expressed your views in a way that I understandable and persuasive—really well :). I agree with this. Where are today's heroes? But I'd say, don't look for someone else to step up, I think we could all be a hero to somebody in our everyday lives, you know? But yeah, this was an amazing article :) 5/5 stars!

MerlinGirl said...
Jul. 22, 2013 at 6:20 pm:
dang dbk that was amazing. your right were are the heroines of our generation? why is everything focused to help the victim? ill think on this for a while.

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 22, 2013 at 5:57 pm:
I couldn't agree anymore with this piece. I love your rhetorical question at the end. Very well-written.

Shadowing.the.Moon said...
Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:39 am:
Hey! I really liked this. Your questions through out it were pretty good to.

vartikasinghThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:36 am:
excellent u rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!