Worthless | Teen Ink

Worthless

July 6, 2013
By JessiMarie BRONZE, Waxhaw, North Carolina
JessiMarie BRONZE, Waxhaw, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We are the choices we make." - Patrick Ness, Chaos Walking


No one should ever have to be called worthless. Why should they? They are a significant being of this beautiful world, and yet they are reduced to the word "worthless"? No one should have to feel the pain of being "nothing", a "mistake", a "waste of space". Because no one is any of these things. Everyone has the capacity to grow and change in beneficial ways. So to call someone nothing or a waste of space, it is truly stabbing them in their confidence with words. When confidence is lost, an opportunity in their future is lost. After all, it takes only an ounce of confidence to take a chance. What if they only had an ounce left and someone stole it with their horrific words and ignorant jabs? It could potentially close the door on someone's golden opportunity. Everyone's doors should be open. Everyone should have the chance to take every challenge that comes their way if they feel so inclined. Bullying takes away decisions. Bullying takes away confidence. But most people don't realize that bullying takes away opportunities. Sometimes opportunities that can never return after they have been denied because someone's confidence is so weak from the bullying they endured even years ago. Who has the right to steal someone's confidence? Who has the right to possibly ruin someone's life?


The author's comments:
This piece is important to me because as a child in elementary school, I was called worthless, nothing, a mistake, and a waste of space. Elementary school. I was bullied as soon as I switched schools in third grade. I didn't know what bullying was, I had never experienced it before, and I was blindsided when it began. It hit me like a boulder twice my size because I couldn't understand why two girls would gang up on me just to be so horrible. My confidence died in elementary school, with every shove, ever name they called me, every laugh the threw my way. I had problems talking to anyone after that, I had problems with my friends, I had problems in my relationships, I had problems taking chances that could have furthered me in many aspects of my life. Now, of course, I have changed my way of thinking and my experiences have helped me become who I am today, a strong and confident person. But this doesn't mean everyone turns out great and happy after their bullying experience. Some of them have such low self esteem that they see no reason to live anymore because they believe they burden everyone around them. This shouldn't be so, and it's completely unfair for it to ever occur. I hope one day everyone can at least attempt to understand how bullying affects people to their core, not just for a split second.