It's Hard

In today's society, it can sometimes be genuinely be difficult to stand up for that one kid that is getting taunted on the lunch line. It really is. The "cool" kid that is doing is most likely doing it to impress one of his friends. Do you really think they would still do it if they were alone? Absolutely not. Which makes it even harder for the bystander to do something, because it is usually a group of people doing something to the kid. Personally, I have never been bullied, so I can't even imagine how it feels to just have someone pick out all of your flaws for no particular reason, and have so many people around that could stand up for you but don't. As a society we need to stand up and tell kids that A) it is totally not okay to make anyone feel bad EVER, especially if they are more "flawed" than you in your opinion. B) If you see someone that is being pushed around with words or physically, imagine being that person in that situation and think about how you would want just that one bystander to help. It would take an enormous amount of courage on your part, but you will get over the 0.5 seconds of embarrassment to help, and I can promise you that the bully one day will be cleaning your bathrooms one day.