Dear Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Do you remember in middle school you came up to me one day and introduced yourself and your friends? I didn't know them and didn't really want to, but you kept talking to me. You laughed and joked with everyone, and I was amazed. I still am. How can you have such humble confidence, such openness?

You are not a “social butterfly,” but the way you embrace all people and let them open up of their own will is more powerful and beautiful than any social butterfly I've ever met.

Can you believe that I'd never known anyone who did that for me ­before? Someone as gently persistent as you? I will always remember that.

Could you see that I was unhappy? I don't think so; I hid it well. I was never interested in obvious grief. Just silent sorrow.

But do you know how silent unhappiness can affect a person? How it can twist a mind into thinking so many negative things? And so few positives?

Do you remember that movie where one girl was kind to another and sat at her table because she was alone? Everyone seemed to think it was so unrealistic. Even I scoffed a little. But do you realize that I always felt like that girl? You rescued me.

Can you believe I am crying? Maybe I've only just realized what you did for me. I ­wonder if I'll ever have the courage to give this note to you. You'd probably deny everything.

We've drifted apart, but that's ­because you helped me drift. I have more friends now. I like people. And I see classmates who remind me so much of who I was – who feel the negatives outnumber the positives. Maybe that's why they are drawn to me and I to them.

I want to be like you, my friend. I want to see the beauty in people and help them find it in themselves.

Your Grateful Friend,

chris122 said...
today at 10:41 am
such a bad story killed myself adter reading
kingkong123433 replied...
today at 2:38 pm
why would u do that its only a story
Bmac12 said...
hey jesus what is up bruh
TheJesus said...
I'm telling your teacher!
ShyMexicanForever said...
I loved it! 
alexj56a said...
kill yourself in a fire
ImmortalRose replied...
What was that about... so not cool.
shauney36 replied...
May 8 at 10:58 am
wow that's harsh
liliepopbumb said...
thanks isaaclegen  
Surya R. said...
Great Friend and very influential  
liliepopbumb said...
thats a great story
liliepopbumb said...
thats a great story .
isaaclegendislegend said...
that was pretty nice of your friend
Plume said...
Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:31 am
This is wonderfu!!!!! Please check out my work :)
dak0ta said...
awh. i liked this :')
xxhope4xx said...
This is good! love it . i think it's something we all go though at one point in our lives.
Susurrous This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Thank you!
Alex. said...
This is really inspiring. I liked it. Someday I hope to meet someone like your friend. Beautiful piece :)
kennedy_rowzz said...
I loved this!!! .Reading this really gave me a flashback of how me and my best friend met back in middle school.