Dear Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Do you remember in middle school you came up to me one day and introduced yourself and your friends? I didn't know them and didn't really want to, but you kept talking to me. You laughed and joked with everyone, and I was amazed. I still am. How can you have such humble confidence, such openness?

You are not a “social butterfly,” but the way you embrace all people and let them open up of their own will is more powerful and beautiful than any social butterfly I've ever met.

Can you believe that I'd never known anyone who did that for me ­before? Someone as gently persistent as you? I will always remember that.

Could you see that I was unhappy? I don't think so; I hid it well. I was never interested in obvious grief. Just silent sorrow.

But do you know how silent unhappiness can affect a person? How it can twist a mind into thinking so many negative things? And so few positives?

Do you remember that movie where one girl was kind to another and sat at her table because she was alone? Everyone seemed to think it was so unrealistic. Even I scoffed a little. But do you realize that I always felt like that girl? You rescued me.

Can you believe I am crying? Maybe I've only just realized what you did for me. I ­wonder if I'll ever have the courage to give this note to you. You'd probably deny everything.

We've drifted apart, but that's ­because you helped me drift. I have more friends now. I like people. And I see classmates who remind me so much of who I was – who feel the negatives outnumber the positives. Maybe that's why they are drawn to me and I to them.

I want to be like you, my friend. I want to see the beauty in people and help them find it in themselves.

Your Grateful Friend,

M.G.

YoungBeauty said...
today at 10:24 am
I love this so much! Made me cry a little .. It is a true inspiration to others and is very relatable.

hayleyp said...
Feb. 18 at 8:53 pm
I love this story. It is so inspiring. It's great to know that there are still many kind, encouraging people in the world.

hayleyp said...
Feb. 18 at 8:50 pm
I love this story. It is so inspiring and I hope that someone feels this way about me one day.

whitneyclagg said...
Feb. 18 at 2:22 pm
It's great to see a happy side of a friendship, not the bullying or distress.

Brett H said...
Feb. 18 at 1:59 pm
"Dear Friend" I really liked this story, and how it thanks the girl for being so nice to her. Great job, Brett

ryan18terry said...
Feb. 18 at 1:49 pm
Really liked the story. I liked how it was a letter format thanking her for being a nice human being.

CianaBThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 27 at 5:00 pm
I personally loved the story. If only everyone had your kindness and writing, the world would be a much better place. Comment on my writing if you feel like it. I would really appreciate it.

chris122 said...
Oct. 9, 2015 at 10:41 am
such a bad story killed myself adter reading

kingkong123433 replied...
why would u do that its only a story

Bmac12 said...
hey jesus what is up bruh

TheJesus said...
I'm telling your teacher!

ShyMexicanForever said...
I loved it! 

alexj56a said...
kill yourself in a fire

ImmortalRose replied...
What was that about... so not cool.

shauney36 replied...
May 8, 2015 at 10:58 am
wow that's harsh

CianaBThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 27 at 4:57 pm
Seriously. You need to stop and think before you say things like that, even if it was meant sarcastically.

liliepopbumb said...
thanks isaaclegen  

Surya R. said...
Great Friend and very influential  

liliepopbumb said...
thats a great story

liliepopbumb said...
thats a great story .