Bullies should know better | Teen Ink

Bullies should know better

January 20, 2013
By PriscillaT BRONZE, Singapore, Other
PriscillaT BRONZE, Singapore, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Promise yourself to be so strong that no one can disturbs your peace of mind.


It wasn't what I wanted to hear. I had been patiently waiting all this time, and truthfully speaking, it was starting to get on my nerves. Where's the money that he promised me? Shouldn't he know how this works?

"I... I... I'll pay you the money by... next Monday."

"Okay." I answered, giving him a look that said 'you better'.

With that, the boy walked away in defeat. I actually felt sorry for him, but that thought quickly passed. It was like fumes; vanishing in an instant.


Hold that thought of yours and let me explain. No, I am not a bully. You see, a classmate of mine (the real bully) borrowed money from me couple of weeks back. Since I wanted him to get off my back-he was constantly bugging me-I gave my allowance to him, hoping that he'd returned it by the following day.

Alas, he decided not to.

The boy, whom I spoke to earlier on, was the bully's so-called-sidekick. It was ironic and silly. Shouldn't he treat his 'sidekick' better? You don't see Batman pushing Robin around. Apparently, this sidekick, whose name shall remain undisclosed, was entrusted with the task in returning the money to me.

Frankly speaking, after I knew what really happened, I didn't want the money anymore. It's not his fault that he's unable to come up with the cash. I blame it on my naivety and lack of understanding of people. Worst of all, I blame myself. I should have gone the extra mile to lend him a helping hand.

Last I heard, the sidekick has cut all ties with the bully. Now that we’ve long graduated, you can say that he’s doing insanely well. As for the bully, I have no clue about him, though; I secretly wish that he’s a living proof of the old phrase, ‘what goes around comes around’.


To all the bullies out there: stop and look at yourself. That girl or boy whom you've been insulting because of her/his appearance? They're ugly? No, you're the one who's ugly. It irks me that you fail to wrap this simple idea in your mind that they're hurt. Can't you see the pain? Has life been bad for you? Is that why you feel better about yourself when you see others in agony? Because of you, that girl/boy is in misery.

Stop. Enough is enough.

And to all victims of bullying, I know you're tired in hearing this, but I have to get this off my chest somehow.

Get help. Talk to your friends, parents. Anyone; someone whom you feel comfortable with. There's nothing to be ashamed of. Know this: you deserve better. Stay strong and stand tall. Just keep trying and keep holding on.