Thoughts from a former Nobody | Teen Ink

Thoughts from a former Nobody

January 10, 2013
By theshadowofanobody GOLD, Belle Mead, New Jersey
theshadowofanobody GOLD, Belle Mead, New Jersey
19 articles 0 photos 6 comments

“Hey! You’ve gotta get moving (GO!)
You’re a Somebody (MEANINGFUL) aren’t ya? So get moving!
There’s a whole world of Someplaces to see (SO MANY PLACES)
a whole world of Somebodies to meet (SO MANY PEOPLE) !”
But hey! we ain’t gonna move (WHERE DO WE HAVE TO GO)
because we’re Nobodies (THEY’RE CRUSHING US)
forget the world, we just want someone (SAVE US) to look us in the eye
tell us that maybe, it’s all right if we’re alone (WE’RE LONELY)
to cry for just a little bit and shatter into a million pieces (WE’VE GOT SMILING MASKS FOR FACES)
because there’s gotta be Somebody to pick all the pieces back up (THERE’S GOTTA BE)
Glue all the pieces back together, listen for the pulsing of a heartbeat (A TELL-TALE LIE OF LIFE)
Maybe we’re broken (MAYBE WE DON’T NEED TO BE FIXED) but
is it okay to say that we’re meant to be here? (WE’RE HERE THEN AND NOW)
or that we’re meant to be loved (LIKE ANYONE ELSE)
that sticks and stones will break our bones but words will snap our souls (THEY SAY---)
“You’re really emo! You depressed or something? Then why don’t you go jump off a bridge?”
We dreamers, we hang on with withered fingers but our arms, laced with sunset streaks of brittle glass and pearly tears and bitten fingernails,
are so tired. Who knows? One day, we Nobodies might think that
THERE’S NOPLACES TO SEE. (But we dreamed of rainforests and glowing cities).
THERE’S NOBODY THAT WANTS TO MEET US. (But we dreamed of finding the ones we loved most).
“Nobody likes you! You’ve got no friends at all, huh?”
They said that with a laugh, a joke! but you know
we can’t laugh like that, not when we just want to leave for a while (DISAPPEAR)
because we’re not Somebodies, and so, we wonder if anyone will remember us if we fade away
because we can’t go Someplaces---no one ever believed in us, no one ever thought we’d reach the sky
WE’VE GOT NO WINGS, WE’RE CHAINED DOWN. SO WE WATCH, AS EVERYONE ELSE SOARS.
Hey! Did you know? We were kids once. Some of us still are.
Why? Did we deserve this? Maybe we just wanted to play tag with everyone else
but we were different. Somehow, we fell. And we can’t get back up.
(We’re hurt. We’re scared. We’re alone. We’re Nobodies.)
Amanda Todd. Does that name strike a chord to you?
(She was hurt. She was scared. She was alone. She thought herself a Nobody.)
She could’ve gone to all these Someplaces and met all these Somebodies.
She was the one and only Amanda Todd. She was a someone special.
But she was like us all too. She had feelings and thoughts and loves and wishes.
(BUT NOBODY WAS THERE FOR HER). Nobody stopped to pick up and glue all the pieces together.
..For us?
“Hey! You’ve gotta get moving (GO!)
You’re YOU, aren’t ya? So take that first step!
There’s a whole word of Someplaces to see (SO MANY PLACES)
a whole world of PEOPLE to meet—NOBODIES, SOMEBODIES
BUT WE’RE EVERYBODIES.”
‘Bullying’ goes by so many names. But I’m sure we all know what Bullying’s face looks like.
Next time someone wants to play tag with you. Next time someone’s different. Next time someone falls down. Victim. Bystander. Bully.
SLOW DOWN. PICK EVERYONE BACK UP, CELEBRATE THEIR DIFFERENCES, PLAY TAG WITH THEM.
AND THEN, MOVE FORWARD. (GO!)


The author's comments:
This world moves by too quickly.
But it'd be nice if everyone could slow down.
So we all can walk together.