The Girl Who Turned in Alexander Carter's Math Homework This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

"Shut up, you nerd. Nobody cares."

I watched as the helpless, tiny boy with glasses that barely traced his eyes was shoved against the wall, papers flying everywhere and evil laughter sprinkling through the air. My eyes hurt just looking at the poor boy, and I stumbled forward to help retrieve his paperwork. He sent a half-smile in my direction, but it was replaced by wide eyes and a twisted, confused mouth when I felt a hand on my shoulder and saw a shadow pass over the boy's face.

"So, you've decided to help him out, eh?"

I gulped and did not turn around. I had no nerve, my hands were shaking, and my glasses were about as bad as the boy's had been.

"Cute. Nerd love. See this, guys? It's nerd love."

Laughter peppered the air again, and I could feel it burning my tongue, persuading me to speak.
The hard hands pushed me against the wall, spraying the boy's papers that I had been trying to retrieve all over the hallway.

"Nerd love," he whimpered sarcastically, "Too cute."

He followed his words with another shove on my shoulders and more peppery laughter. He turned slowly, but whipped himself around again and said, "Better watch out, nerds. The teachers are watching."
He and his buddies laughed together and walked away.

I turned to look at the boy and collect the scattered papers.

He was gone.

I bent to pick up the nearest paper; it was some complicated math that I had yet to solve. However, the boy had easily deciphered each problem with neat script. I looked at the page behind it, expecting to see the complicated work behind the neat answers.

That is not what I saw.

There was a note from the boy.

The note was in neat script.

I read:

To whom it may concern,

I've been bullied throughout my entire existence up until now, and I honestly can't stand it anymore.
My name is Alexander Carter, and I don't want to live on this Earth anymore. Don't try and stop me. By the time somebody important reads this letter, I'll be long gone. Don't miss me.

Make sure my math teacher gets my homework.

Sincerely,
Alexander Carter

kamkitThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 11:13 pm:
Sorry this review is pretty late, but this story definitely deserved its place in the 'Extraordinary Love' Contest. Despite the shortness of it, you were able to effortlessly harness me into caring about what happens to the two main characters. Your description of thier expressions and countenances was great, and the characterization of the bully through his dialogue was perfectly believable. Also, loved the twist at the end, really brought the message of the entire piece home. Gre... (more »)

Jade.I.AmThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 3 at 10:49 am:
Wow, this is chilling. I honestly did not expect the end. Great job!

TaylorWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 3 at 6:54 pm :
Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

kristen4552 said...
Feb. 18 at 7:18 pm:
I really love this!!! its keeps you hooked and wondering whats going to happen next.I think your a really great wrighter and congratulations on the editor's choice!

Mar. 31 at 9:22 am :
Thank you so much! (:

PATRICKJOESPH said...
Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:42 am:
wow i can really relate to that 

Oct. 13, 2013 at 3:44 pm :
Thanks for the feedback! (:

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sept. 8, 2013 at 6:30 am:
This is amazing. Amazing. Amazing. P.S. Congratulations on the editor's choice! 

Sept. 8, 2013 at 11:42 am :
Thank you!!! (: And thank you!

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Sept. 9, 2013 at 1:15 pm :
Hehehe, well you know, I do know that this isn't the great kind of detailed feedback but I must say this article didn't leave much to say. But I am sorry because I've been posting not-detailed comments which I just realized. From next time, I'll try not to. eeek... Sorry.

Sept. 9, 2013 at 6:19 pm :
No, you're perfectly fine. I'm just glad you thought so highly of my work. (:

redhairCat This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I loved this!!! You did a great job!!!!  

JettaWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 1, 2013 at 5:45 pm :
Thank you!

alex2512 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:33 pm:
Wow, that was really different, from the format to the unexpected ending, and I mean that in a good way :) I really liked it :D

Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:43 pm :
Thank you SO much! I am kind of different. ;) We all are, though.

bookmouseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:32 pm:
I love how the title says what happens after the end! Wow!

Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:43 pm :
Thanks! I tried to make the title grab the reader's attention but still make a TON of sense when you reach the end. Thanks for the feedbacK!!

guardianofthestarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:35 am:
That is so sad!!!! D': And what makes it even worse is that this could very well be a true story.  You really captured this moment very well. I had shivers when I read the last of it! You are super talented and you earned that editor's choice award!!

Jetta_WroteThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:19 pm :
Thank you so much! It really does mean a lot. (:

mmb77 said...
Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:11 pm:
This is so chilling, and scary. I wonder how I would even respond to something like that. Great story!