Bystander | Teen Ink

Bystander

December 7, 2012
By catethesnowflake SILVER, Seattle, Washington
catethesnowflake SILVER, Seattle, Washington
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Nothing is impossible. The word itself says: I'm Possible!


Around the world, one in six children is bullied on a regular basis. A bully usually wants attention and only bullies someone to feel better about their body or personality. Is this what we want the children of the world to think and do? The victims of the bullying can become ill and possible kill themselves. There are many types of bullying. One is emotional and possible online harassment, while the other is physical abuse. Neither one of these is ok and can hurt the victim no matter what they say. Bystander, by James Preller, had physical and emotional bullying in and it affected everyone surrounding the conflict.

Abuse or bullying can affect everyone but is usually directed towards someone that the bully thinks is less of a person. The bully can quickly direct the bullying towards someone who is trying to stick up for the victim. Just because there is the possibility of being bullied doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t go along with the bullying. My friends, friends was being bullied online because she dresses a certain way. She wanted to express herself and that was her outlet. Because of this she began to be bullied online and felt horrible. She got through it because her friends help and stood up for her. The bullies were given serious punishment and when they were asked why they did it, they said it was because they wanted to feel as good about themselves as she felt about herself. With online bullying, things can get complicated because anyone can set an account up in your name. The bullies can say anything with your name on it which can be not only hurtful, but could also lead to the suicide of teens. This shows that you should never be a bystander because by simply standing up for what is right can make the bullies stop.



Physical abuse is also a problem for many children. This form of abuse can be outright fighting, hitting, and kicking or simple “rough housing”. Some victims are afraid to come forward because they don’t want to get the bully in trouble. This can be bad for you because you will continue to get hurt and bad for the bullies’ lives because they could escalate these actions and continue while they continue to grow up.

If you don’t come forward about someone being bullied or yourself being bullied, you could be ensuring that someone else could be bullied in the future. If you wait too long to come forward though, the bully could be using the victim to do what they want which is bad for the victim and others. Sometimes victims will take the bullying because they are at least getting attention for the bully. Never wait to tell a trusted adult about an act of bullying!

Being different is your right as a person. Just because it is said that one way is better than the other doesn’t mean that you have to change. Victims are only bullied because the bully feels bad about themselves. It is cruel, mean, and hurts everyone in the end. If everyone told an adult about bullying, we could cut that 1/6 to 0/0 children being bullied out of everyone. You can make a difference, even if you think you can’t.