Bullying; a Minor Nuisance Or a Major Problem? | Teen Ink

Bullying; a Minor Nuisance Or a Major Problem?

By Vlad Sipko BRONZE, Spokane, Washington
Vlad Sipko BRONZE, Spokane, Washington

The issue of bullying isn't new to anyone -- it has existed since the beginning of time and transcends all economic and social boundaries. It doesn't matter your age, gender, or ethnicity. No matter who you are or where you live, chances are that you have either experienced bullying yourself or have seen it happen to someone else. Even when the bullying may seem minor, it is still wrong and can cause a lot of pain. If not physical pain, then emotional pain. In some cases, emotional pain is actually even worse because it leads to low self esteem, depression, and sometimes even suicide. But while the problem is obvious, the solution is far from it. The only way to stop bullying in its tracks and prevent it from reoccurring is to implement a social stigma on it. People nowadays just don't bother with helping each other out. However, if everyone agreed to look out for each other, bullies wouldn't stand a chance. My solution is simple but persistent. Whenever you witness bullying in progress -- instead of ignoring the issue -- you need to confront it head on. The first thing you should do is explain to the bully that what they are doing is wrong and that they need to stop. If that doesn't resolve the problem, you need to inform an authority figure about the issue. The authority figure would then need to give the bully a punishment. If people faced these consequences EVERY time they attempted to bully someone, then they would be much less likely to repeat their offense. Most people don't see bullying as an important issue, but what we all need to realize is that it is no less harmful than assault. I think that everyone would agree that assaulting someone is unacceptable and should never go unpunished. We should start to give bullying the same negative reaction. This way, bullying would likely be greatly reduced in frequency and cause much less harm. What you need to remember is that bullying is a serious problem that needs to be eradicated. And the only way that it can be eradicated, is if everyone participates in stopping it. So the next time you see your friend -- or even a total stranger -- in trouble, don’t stand idly by and watch, but help the person out by confronting the issue.

It's not a matter of being brave, it's a matter of standing up for what you know is right.