Help! | Teen Ink

Help!

By Natasha Poyser BRONZE, Moore, Oklahoma
Natasha Poyser BRONZE, Moore, Oklahoma

Help!
Bullying is NOT a joke and should not be taken lightly. Bullying has gotten out of control and the majority of people think that there is no way for us to stop it. They are wrong. Bullying is a form of aggressive behavior that is intentional, hurtful, and threatening as well as persistent. A few ways that students can help take care of this situation is; having a national slogan that relates to young people of all ages, have a national contest where teens can write to the Federal Department of Education and explain how they feel about bullying or even send teens to Washington DC to speak out about ideas that they feel would help in some way.
On April 20th, 2012, my friend, Ridge, and I witnessed a little seventh grader getting bullied. His face was as red as a ripe tomato-he was getting choked! I knew I couldn’t just sit there and watch this kid struggle to breathe. So we got up and ran over to him. I could not believe how many students just stood there and laughed…it made me sick to my stomach. Ridge pulled the bully off of the little kid, and I asked him if he was okay once he caught his breath. He was okay but in shock of what had taken place. The bully had disappeared while we were making sure the kid was okay; so there was no way of turning him in. We tried to inform someone about the incident but there were no teachers around. People need to seriously think before they do something like choking or any kind of bullying to a little kid. It does NOT make teens cool, it makes them jerks. Nobody is going to want to be around teens if they are like that.
Bullying is extremely dangerous both physically and mentally to its victims. It causes some victims to harm themselves, even cutting themselves sometimes because they feel responsible. Thirty percent of all child suicides can be directly connected to bullying. It often leads to run aways, teen pregnancies, and dropping out of school.

Children and teens need to not feel ashamed to tell parents, teachers, or principals about the situation. They need to feel good about themselves. Our national slogan could be: “Get a buddy and be a buddy; stop bullying today.” Together we have can have enough courage to help stop bullying.
Determination is a must and if we all work together as a nation, we can reach success.

Sincerely,

Bullying is something I feel strongly about. Not only being subjected to it myself but I see or hear about it so often.
So now I try to stand up to those bullies and help those that are being bullied. I feel everyone needs to "Get a buddy and be a buddy;Stop bullying today."