Stand Up | Teen Ink

Stand Up

By Bluekit GOLD, Rockton, Illinois
Bluekit GOLD, Rockton, Illinois

"Unicorns and glitter!" -Flo

Bullying. A word almost every kid dreads. They dread being the outcast. The reject. The person everyone bullies. The loner. Not being good enough or not meeting someone’s standards. Some dread it so much, they take their own lives. A tragic way to die.
If only the teachers had seen it sooner. If only the parents knew. If only the victim spoke up.
Statistics show in 2011 that 60% of middle school students say they have been bullied. Only 16% of staff believed that students had been bullied. They also say that over 160,000 stayed home from school to avoid bullying. 20% of high school students said they had thoughts of committing suicide in the past twelve months in 2011.
In my opinion, these numbers are too high. What can we do to stop bullying? There are numerous ways to prevent bullying.
Statistics show that over 50% of bullying decreased if the school had an anti-bully program running. If every school had an anti-bully program running, it might reduce the percentage of bullying. It would show the bullies how much they hurt the person who they were bullying.
It would also be more helpful if teachers kept an eye on students at all times. Many bullying cases occur on the playground or at passing time. Only 25% of bullied students said that teachers intervened a bullying incident; while 71% of teachers said they intervened a bullying incident.
Another way is to talk to the bully or stand up to them. Tell them how much it hurts when they call you names or physically hurt you. Try to help them understand bullying isn’t cool. Most likely, they bully just to impress their friends.
Tell a teacher or trusted adult. It’s one of the most commonly known ways to stop a bully from bullying you. Don’t worry; you won’t be a snitch or tattle-tale. Tattle-telling is when someone purposely tells on someone to get them in trouble. Just telling a teacher or trusted adult the situation is perfectly fine. It will help you in the long run.
Don’t just sit on the sidelines and watch bullying. Stand up for the bullying victim and let them know they won’t be alone.
Bullying is never, nor will it ever be, a tolerable matter. Together we can stand up to bullying and make it disappear. Poof!

Just a thought on bullying.

on Nov. 13 2019 at 12:09 pm
SergeantSteel82 SILVER, Fort Wayne, Indiana

one of the greatest tragedies of our time is this impression that has been created that science and religion have to be at war.
-Francis Collins

Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity.
-1 Timothy 4:12, NIV Bible For Teen Guys

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
-Voltaire

we also may need more than one report

on Nov. 13 2019 at 12:09 pm

-Francis Collins

-Voltaire

I did, it may take a day or two, but I did. I am sorry @gayboy, but I warned you multiple times.

joemama69420 said...
on Nov. 13 2019 at 12:07 pm
joemama69420, Atlanta, Indiana
@SergeantSteel82 i feel like you should report him

joemama69420 said...
on Nov. 13 2019 at 12:06 pm
joemama69420, Atlanta, Indiana
@gayboy please stop people dont want to see this in their chat/comment section

gayboy said...
on Nov. 13 2019 at 10:53 am
gayboy, Fortworth, Texas
b i t c h

gayboy said...
on Nov. 13 2019 at 10:35 am
gayboy, Fortworth, Texas
i am not scared of you @SergeantSteel82

gayboy said...
on Nov. 13 2019 at 10:33 am
gayboy, Fortworth, Texas
@sergeantsteel82 you are an a s s

gayboy said...
on Nov. 13 2019 at 10:31 am
gayboy, Fortworth, Texas
@SergeantSteel82 go f * * * yourself

gayboy said...
on Nov. 13 2019 at 10:30 am
gayboy, Fortworth, Texas
@SergeantSteel82 try me

on Nov. 12 2019 at 12:50 pm

-Francis Collins

-Voltaire

@gayboy, that is your last warning, if you don't stop, I will report you to the moderator. I do not want to because this is a great website, and you should be able to enjoy it, but you cannot keep saying stuff like that.

on Nov. 12 2019 at 12:27 pm

-Francis Collins

-Voltaire

@urbad, there is no reason to be childish.

@gayboy, please stop.

@joemama69420, thank you for taking my side, but I have a feeling that the less we say, the less they will say.

urbad said...
on Nov. 12 2019 at 12:20 pm
urbad, Atalanta, District Of Columbia
: )

urbad said...
on Nov. 12 2019 at 12:10 pm
urbad, Atalanta, District Of Columbia
nvm just give me the 5000 roux

urbad said...
on Nov. 12 2019 at 12:00 pm
urbad, Atalanta, District Of Columbia
@gayboy what timezone r u in?

urbad said...
on Nov. 12 2019 at 11:55 am
urbad, Atalanta, District Of Columbia
@gayboy i need the robux im poor and i need it for a gaame

joemama69420 said...
on Nov. 12 2019 at 11:54 am
joemama69420, Atlanta, Indiana
@urbad stop playing around

joemama69420 said...
on Nov. 12 2019 at 11:53 am
joemama69420, Atlanta, Indiana
@SergeantSteel82 is trying to be nice

urbad said...
on Nov. 12 2019 at 11:52 am
urbad, Atalanta, District Of Columbia
@gayboy gimme 5000 robux

joemama69420 said...
on Nov. 12 2019 at 11:52 am
joemama69420, Atlanta, Indiana
@gayboy dont say that

gayboy said...
on Nov. 12 2019 at 10:58 am
gayboy, Fortworth, Texas
@SergeantSteel82 go f * * * yourself

Smith Summer

Parkland Speaks

Campus Compare