Stand Up

By Bluekit GOLD, Rockton, Illinois
Bluekit GOLD, Rockton, Illinois

"Unicorns and glitter!" -Flo

Bullying. A word almost every kid dreads. They dread being the outcast. The reject. The person everyone bullies. The loner. Not being good enough or not meeting someone’s standards. Some dread it so much, they take their own lives. A tragic way to die.
If only the teachers had seen it sooner. If only the parents knew. If only the victim spoke up.
Statistics show in 2011 that 60% of middle school students say they have been bullied. Only 16% of staff believed that students had been bullied. They also say that over 160,000 stayed home from school to avoid bullying. 20% of high school students said they had thoughts of committing suicide in the past twelve months in 2011.
In my opinion, these numbers are too high. What can we do to stop bullying? There are numerous ways to prevent bullying.
Statistics show that over 50% of bullying decreased if the school had an anti-bully program running. If every school had an anti-bully program running, it might reduce the percentage of bullying. It would show the bullies how much they hurt the person who they were bullying.
It would also be more helpful if teachers kept an eye on students at all times. Many bullying cases occur on the playground or at passing time. Only 25% of bullied students said that teachers intervened a bullying incident; while 71% of teachers said they intervened a bullying incident.
Another way is to talk to the bully or stand up to them. Tell them how much it hurts when they call you names or physically hurt you. Try to help them understand bullying isn’t cool. Most likely, they bully just to impress their friends.
Tell a teacher or trusted adult. It’s one of the most commonly known ways to stop a bully from bullying you. Don’t worry; you won’t be a snitch or tattle-tale. Tattle-telling is when someone purposely tells on someone to get them in trouble. Just telling a teacher or trusted adult the situation is perfectly fine. It will help you in the long run.
Don’t just sit on the sidelines and watch bullying. Stand up for the bullying victim and let them know they won’t be alone.
Bullying is never, nor will it ever be, a tolerable matter. Together we can stand up to bullying and make it disappear. Poof!

Just a thought on bullying.

mooberry said...
on May. 18 2016 at 8:36 pm
It's not a laughing matter.

on May. 16 2016 at 2:14 pm
Alexdoesstuff,
you have the right because it is a free contery

on May. 16 2016 at 2:12 pm
Alexdoesstuff,
You know I can also relate i was bullied when I was in 3 grade I was about to kill myself but then I got suspended frokickingg them in WOWZERS!!!!!!!

on Apr. 29 2016 at 9:31 am
ThatOneDino BRONZE, Shepherdsville, Kentucky
stfu this isnt anything to joke about.

fighter356 said...
on Apr. 21 2016 at 2:00 pm
stay strong don't let it get to you. Bullies are trying to impress or are jealous but fight back don't let them throw you around. Its a horrible thing. FIGHT BACK!!!!

Shimmyshumma said...
on Apr. 21 2016 at 9:22 am
I feel really bad for u guys i'v been bullied so i moved it really helped

on Apr. 20 2016 at 1:22 pm
LIttlewolf456,
I have been bullied and I can relate to this so much and Mayday Girl I can totally relate to what you said, I only have 2 'friends' also and my old 'friend' turned on me once I spilled milk on her and I know they'll do the same. But this does help and mostly because were doing a project on bullying and ways to prevent it in my class.

mr.freez said...
on Apr. 19 2016 at 10:10 am
mr.freez,
wow i feel sad deez nuts ha goty

Mayday Girl said...
on Apr. 13 2016 at 11:22 am
Honestly I have and Am being bullied I had thought of Suicide and I once almost took my life but I do fear school, I only have 2 'friends' but Soon they'll turn to but I do relate to this.

j rock said...
on Apr. 11 2016 at 1:47 pm
I know that bullying is wrong i have been bullied too.

Endiss said...
on Apr. 5 2016 at 6:34 pm
#Realateable

NeverHappy said...
on Mar. 16 2016 at 9:56 am
I feel the way it describes

on Mar. 14 2016 at 10:50 am
I will help other people because I've never been bullied in my life so....The problems people have is harsh but i have helped other people...

JacTheJack said...
on Mar. 10 2016 at 10:17 am
I know that bullying has killed more people then murder has. Now, I'm not scared to walk the streets sense I know the real danger is in school. Does any of that make sense?

hey.bae.here said...
on Mar. 8 2016 at 3:41 pm
I know I probably don't have the right to say this but in cyberbullying cant you just exit out of the site - or app- that you're getting bullied on I mean I have been physically, verbally, cyberbullied, and bullied for supporting LGBT. and I was able to get it to stop by getting rid of apps I was bullied on, standing up against my bullies, walking away from an argument, and I showed I was proud that I support LGBT. that was how I stopped my bullies... I mean yah of course I still get bullied every now and then I get bullied but its not as bad as before, so I want all of you to realize that you can stand up for your self. bullies may hurt you horribly, but they can never change you heart, your soul, and what you love. so please stand up against bullying

ZombieKing said...
on Jan. 11 2016 at 9:20 pm
ZombieKing,
It is ignoring not ingooring (Not trying to be mean)

ZombieKing said...
on Jan. 11 2016 at 9:19 pm
ZombieKing,
This is also very creepy and I think I'm going to have nightmares

ZombieKing said...
on Jan. 11 2016 at 9:18 pm
ZombieKing,
This is totally not true and I am still alive

ZombieKing said...
on Jan. 11 2016 at 9:15 pm
ZombieKing,
You have a lot of typing errors like yuo instead of you (I'm not trying to be mean)

Mekiyal said...
on Jan. 11 2016 at 1:46 pm
Man... there are some serious problems going around here... Even I have been bullied, but only cyber bullied luckily. To the people who never have been bullied, stand up for the people who have! Do the right thing! Make bullying extinct!

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!