Take a Joke, Sweetheart MAG

By ohmakemeover BRONZE, Centerville, Minnesota
ohmakemeover BRONZE, Centerville, Minnesota

"Touch comes before sight, before speech. It is the first language and the last, and it always tells the truth."- Margaret Atwood

He leaned over my desk, his body casting a shadow over my writing. Two fists were suddenly pressed hard next to my book, giving him an air of undeserved authority. “You know they're just joking, right?” His voice was gentle, as if he were speaking to a timid animal.

I nodded slowly, confused, trying to focus on my work as my blood boiled. “I'm aware that they're joking, but jokes can be offensive, and I was feeling uncomfortable,” I said.

He took a deep breath, a small, nearly undetectable smile playing at the corners of his mouth. He shoved his sleeves up his arms. “The more you ask them to stop, the more they'll just keep doing it. That's how they work.” He was telling me what many men had tried to explain before: men don't change, men don't stop, men won't listen to you.

And oh, he was so very smart, his words so very wise. I knew that he thought he was imparting some helpful, kind-hearted wisdom on me. He was trying to save the silly girl who was making a fool of herself by refusing to tolerate something that made her and other girls uncomfortable. He was playing big brother, daddy, the savior on a white horse sent to shut me up.

I looked at him, anger burning the back of my neck and my cheeks. “So, because they won't stop, I should just give up? I should let them make sexist jokes that make me very uneasy?” We were in history class. I thought I deserved to feel safe.

His smirk faltered a bit. “They're just joking. They don't actually mean what they say.”

People were watching us; I could feel their eyes. I was suddenly vulnerable. I wanted them to stop staring, to go away. I wanted this boy to sit down and talk instead of towering over me.

“They may mean those jokes to be harmless, but they're ignorant,” I continued. “Believe me, the jokes don't end at ‘Women should stay in the kitchen.' They continue until they become sexual and inappropriate. I want them to stop now before I have even more reason to be angry.” I'd been down this road before, many times.

“I think you should just give it up before they gang up on you,” he replied, calmly and reasonably, like an adult pacifying a cranky child.

I was so upset I wanted to cry, but the steam gathering behind my eyes made tears impossible. I wondered who he thought he was, standing over a girl he'd never spoken to, telling her that her words were useless, that she could try but she'd always fail. If we had been friends, I would have listened; if he'd spoken to me like a peer, I would have cared. But he was just pushing me down, stuffing me into a box until I suffocated on all of my useless, silly words.

I looked him in the eye and said, “If they're going to be rude, then I will be rude back.”

My comment didn't even make sense. Ten minutes earlier, a group of boys had been trading sexist jokes about women. I had turned around in my seat, looked one of the boys in the eye, and said, “Just please stop, for me. I'm asking you to stop.” That boy looked doubtful but he stopped, and I resumed my work. I ­didn't yell, lecture, or swear. I simply asked. I used words, the only weapon I knew how to use, and everything was okay.

Now this boy had the nerve to tell me that my words didn't mean anything. This boy hurt me more than he realized. He tried to take away the only weapon I had to defend myself.

But he didn't have the power to do that. I will never stop fighting for what I believe is right. I will never stop standing up for myself, my friends, and my gender, and I will never stop using my (stupid, useless, fruitless, beautiful, powerful, amazing) words.

He backed away, easing off my desk. Frustration was apparent in his face, but he kept his features stony and emotionless. “Fine, whatever. But you'll never get anywhere with them, believe me.”

I didn't believe him. To this day, I don't believe him, because I have continually used my knowledge and my words to make others rethink their actions. Sometimes I fail and they don't stop. Sometimes my words get me into trouble. But sometimes I even make a new ally.

Little did he know, that boy didn't break me down. He made me stronger.

This was a pivotal moment in my life as a feminist. This moment helped me to realize my strength as a woman. After this experience, I've never doubted my power to express my feelings with words.

on Nov. 12 2013 at 7:30 pm
Carson_Beck GOLD, Austin, Texas

"Barry's real superpower isn't speed, it's hope. The kid's got an endless reservoir. Thinks it's all gonna work out!" - HR (The Flash)

Such a great story very inspiring!

Terry_A BRONZE said...
on Oct. 30 2013 at 12:33 pm
Terry_A BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada

"who you choose to be around you, let's you know who you are."

Inspirational!

SwaaggDooee said...
on Oct. 10 2013 at 8:20 pm
SwaaggDooee, Descanso, California
EXCELLENT EFFORT!:)

on Sep. 3 2013 at 2:36 am
TheSkyOwesMeRain GOLD, Irvine, California

Life isn't measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments which take your breath away.

You are only as strong as your weakest link.

Great job! Never let others shoot you down! 

on Aug. 31 2013 at 9:05 pm
VictorianEra BRONZE, Rosedale, New York

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

This was pure awesomeness.

on Aug. 15 2013 at 4:24 am
Natasha_C SILVER, Bloomington, Minnesota

"Every day may not be good, but there is something good in every day."
"Life goes on... Whether you choose to move on and take a chance in the unknown.
Or stay behind, locked in the past,thinking of what could've been."

WOW!! i love this...

rhea752 GOLD said...
on Jun. 5 2013 at 11:46 am
rhea752 GOLD, Merritt Island, Florida

Maybe it's not about the happy ending, maybe it's about the story.

You are my hero. 

on May. 15 2013 at 5:14 pm
fictitious-quandary GOLD, Orlando, Florida

Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
Willing is not enough; we must do.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right"
- Henry Ford

I agree. He was just trying to help. He was not the trouble, he was the solution.

on May. 14 2013 at 11:04 am
YozoraK PLATINUM, Maumelle, Arkansas

"Life for you has been less than kind/So take a number/Stand in line/We've all been sorry/We've all been hurt/But how we survive/Is what makes us who we are." -'Survive' by Rise Against

I love this article because it goes to show just how little society has changed.  Yes, women have gained a lot more power in this modern day world, but the one thing that hasn't changed is just how sexist some people are, which is the one thing holding us back. Women have the same rights has men do in society, and all of the sexist jokes should be put to a halt because they will always be offensive, no matter if they weren't meant to be harmful or not.  It's disrespectful and it puts others down, which is wrong in general. Thank you for writing this article!  ^_^

on Apr. 26 2013 at 9:30 pm
WinstonSmith BRONZE, Columbia, Missouri
I admire you.

on Apr. 18 2013 at 4:45 pm
Alyssa-the-only, Anna, Texas

this was a absolutely amazing story.

on Mar. 25 2013 at 1:52 pm
write_to_express16 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

"If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse."

"If you really put a small value upon yourself, rest assured that the world will not raise your price."

"Never dull your shine for somebody else."

I thought this was very well written and I agreed with your point of view. I probably would have been happy at the fact that someone who I did not know actually took the time to try and consult me while I was upset. He probably knows these people well enough to know that your words might not get anywhere, no matter how powerful they are. Sometimes the best thing is to just tune it out and let it go, and sometimes you have to not listen to what anyone else says and just let your beliefs guide you. Those kind of 'jokes' are not something I take very offensively so I could have let it go, but there are other subjects in which I have a serious passion for & like you, I would have wanted them to have some of my thoughts. Anyways, you did a really good job!

on Mar. 11 2013 at 6:31 pm
sydneylouise_101 BRONZE, Oak Forest, Illinois
this is amazing. i enjoyed it so much.

on Feb. 18 2013 at 3:15 am
Sabeen_Yameen SILVER, Karachi, Other

If you want something you have never had,
You have got to do something, You have never done!

Impressive. I must say, 'true' and 'touchy'.

on Feb. 18 2013 at 3:06 am
Matthew17 SILVER, Bainbridge Island, Washington
This is really amazing. You define toy know how to use words to your advantage. Incredible.

on Feb. 11 2013 at 1:12 pm
iam4evermyself PLATINUM, Chicago, Illinois

"Hope. It is the only thing greater than fear. A little hope is effective. A lot of hope is dangerous. A spark is okay, as long as it's contained."

Truth has been told in your writing. I know how it feels, and it is the worst feeling in the world. When you see things like this everyday, your mind questions to get involed or stay out of it. If involved, it could hurt you more than the other person, not involved, it hurts the person naturally. I am glad, that you have WRITTEN THE TRUTH that many seems to not want to hear. Thank you. Always stand up for yourself. It's Perfect. 

on Feb. 10 2013 at 4:53 pm
SunshineKarmaGirl, Weedsport, New York

If You Don't Have Anything Nice to Say, Don't Say It At All

I really liked reading this. :) It takes me back a few weeks ago and I learned from your story that i need to gain some confidence and stand up for myself. If you could please check out You Know My Name Not My Story i would appriciate it so much. Thanks! :)

on Feb. 1 2013 at 1:25 pm
Tiara Hansley, Wilmigton N.c, North Carolina
I Really Enjoyed Reading This Poem I Loved How The Girl gained some confidence and standed up for what was Right.

on Jan. 31 2013 at 10:49 am
muna.najihah PLATINUM, Malacca, Other

if life was given two choices, to become a writer or a character, I will choose to become a writer.
I have the power to decide what my life should be.

love it so much times a hundred Write more for us

on Jan. 27 2013 at 4:00 pm
Laurel-F. BRONZE, Willow Spring, North Carolina
This story is inspiring. You go girl!

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!