Take a Joke, Sweetheart This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

He leaned over my desk, his body casting a shadow over my writing. Two fists were suddenly pressed hard next to my book, giving him an air of undeserved authority. “You know they're just joking, right?” His voice was gentle, as if he were speaking to a timid animal.

I nodded slowly, confused, trying to focus on my work as my blood boiled. “I'm aware that they're joking, but jokes can be offensive, and I was feeling uncomfortable,” I said.

He took a deep breath, a small, nearly undetectable smile playing at the corners of his mouth. He shoved his sleeves up his arms. “The more you ask them to stop, the more they'll just keep doing it. That's how they work.” He was telling me what many men had tried to explain before: men don't change, men don't stop, men won't listen to you.

And oh, he was so very smart, his words so very wise. I knew that he thought he was imparting some helpful, kind-hearted wisdom on me. He was trying to save the silly girl who was making a fool of herself by refusing to tolerate something that made her and other girls uncomfortable. He was playing big brother, daddy, the savior on a white horse sent to shut me up.

I looked at him, anger burning the back of my neck and my cheeks. “So, because they won't stop, I should just give up? I should let them make sexist jokes that make me very uneasy?” We were in history class. I thought I deserved to feel safe.

His smirk faltered a bit. “They're just joking. They don't actually mean what they say.”

People were watching us; I could feel their eyes. I was suddenly vulnerable. I wanted them to stop staring, to go away. I wanted this boy to sit down and talk instead of towering over me.

“They may mean those jokes to be harmless, but they're ignorant,” I continued. “Believe me, the jokes don't end at ‘Women should stay in the kitchen.' They continue until they become sexual and inappropriate. I want them to stop now before I have even more reason to be angry.” I'd been down this road before, many times.

“I think you should just give it up before they gang up on you,” he replied, calmly and reasonably, like an adult pacifying a cranky child.

I was so upset I wanted to cry, but the steam gathering behind my eyes made tears impossible. I wondered who he thought he was, standing over a girl he'd never spoken to, telling her that her words were useless, that she could try but she'd always fail. If we had been friends, I would have listened; if he'd spoken to me like a peer, I would have cared. But he was just pushing me down, stuffing me into a box until I suffocated on all of my useless, silly words.

I looked him in the eye and said, “If they're going to be rude, then I will be rude back.”

My comment didn't even make sense. Ten minutes earlier, a group of boys had been trading sexist jokes about women. I had turned around in my seat, looked one of the boys in the eye, and said, “Just please stop, for me. I'm asking you to stop.” That boy looked doubtful but he stopped, and I resumed my work. I ­didn't yell, lecture, or swear. I simply asked. I used words, the only weapon I knew how to use, and everything was okay.

Now this boy had the nerve to tell me that my words didn't mean anything. This boy hurt me more than he realized. He tried to take away the only weapon I had to defend myself.

But he didn't have the power to do that. I will never stop fighting for what I believe is right. I will never stop standing up for myself, my friends, and my gender, and I will never stop using my (stupid, useless, fruitless, beautiful, powerful, amazing) words.

He backed away, easing off my desk. Frustration was apparent in his face, but he kept his features stony and emotionless. “Fine, whatever. But you'll never get anywhere with them, believe me.”

I didn't believe him. To this day, I don't believe him, because I have continually used my knowledge and my words to make others rethink their actions. Sometimes I fail and they don't stop. Sometimes my words get me into trouble. But sometimes I even make a new ally.

Little did he know, that boy didn't break me down. He made me stronger.

rhea752 said...
Jun. 5, 2013 at 11:46 am:
You are my hero. 

YozoraK said...
May 14, 2013 at 11:04 am:
I love this article because it goes to show just how little society has changed.  Yes, women have gained a lot more power in this modern day world, but the one thing that hasn't changed is just how sexist some people are, which is the one thing holding us back. Women have the same rights has men do in society, and all of the sexist jokes should be put to a halt because they will always be offensive, no matter if they weren't meant to be harmful or not.  It's disrespectful... (more »)

WinstonSmith said...
I admire you.

Alyssa-the-only said...
this was a absolutely amazing story.

write_to_express16 said...
Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:52 pm:
I thought this was very well written and I agreed with your point of view. I probably would have been happy at the fact that someone who I did not know actually took the time to try and consult me while I was upset. He probably knows these people well enough to know that your words might not get anywhere, no matter how powerful they are. Sometimes the best thing is to just tune it out and let it go, and sometimes you have to not listen to what anyone else says and just let your beliefs guide you... (more »)

fictitious-quandary replied...
May 15, 2013 at 5:14 pm :
I agree. He was just trying to help. He was not the trouble, he was the solution.

sydneylouise_101 said...
Mar. 11, 2013 at 6:31 pm:
this is amazing. i enjoyed it so much.

Sabeen_YameenThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:15 am:
Impressive. I must say, 'true' and 'touchy'.

Matthew17 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:06 am:
This is really amazing. You define toy know how to use words to your advantage. Incredible.

iam4evermyself said...
Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:12 pm:
Truth has been told in your writing. I know how it feels, and it is the worst feeling in the world. When you see things like this everyday, your mind questions to get involed or stay out of it. If involved, it could hurt you more than the other person, not involved, it hurts the person naturally. I am glad, that you have WRITTEN THE TRUTH that many seems to not want to hear. Thank you. Always stand up for yourself. It's Perfect. 

SunshineKarmaGirl said...
Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:53 pm:
I really liked reading this. :) It takes me back a few weeks ago and I learned from your story that i need to gain some confidence and stand up for myself. If you could please check out You Know My Name Not My Story i would appriciate it so much. Thanks! :)

Tiara H. said...
Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:25 pm:
I Really Enjoyed Reading This Poem I Loved How The Girl gained some confidence and standed up for what was Right.

muna.najihah said...
Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:49 am:
love it so much times a hundred Write more for us

Laurel-F. said...
This story is inspiring. You go girl!

GeenaElise said...
Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:12 am:
This is allsorts of an amazing.Well done 

SunshineKarmaGirl said...
So well written! The truth was finally  spoken and I'm glad you wrote this.

Plume said...
This is wonderful :) well done. Please check out my work

Long_GoneThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Love it so much. I can be the same as you sometimes and am a feminest to the extrem. 

Luckystar78 said...
This article was such a relief to me - I've spent years trying to defend people and causes when immature boys and girls alike make inappropriate, rude and offensive comments - without even realizing it. I'm glad you didn't let that level of ignorance affect your views - and for the record, I'm a fierce feminist too! Good article, by the way.  

Alanda said...
Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:38 am:
I loved it!!!! Way to stand up for yourself. GREAT JOB!