Relaying for a Purpose | Teen Ink

Relaying for a Purpose

June 8, 2018
By e.lam20 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
e.lam20 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Relay for Life is an event that is popular amongst Americans and across the globe. In support of the American Cancer Society, Relay for Life gives people an opportunity to connect with others and fundraise for a cause that is near and dear to many. Relay for Life is a non-profit organization, meaning that it is 100% volunteer based and is funded through the kindness of people around the globe to raise money that goes towards expenses relating to cancer treatments and facilities. This event is held throughout multiple locations allowing for teams to be created from different areas to join and participate in the action. Relay for Life typically takes place in the month of May and has thousands of participants from America alone. This event is an overnight event (typically from Friday evening to Saturday morning), where individuals form teams with others and raise money prior to the event. At the day of event, team members are welcomed to the Relay for Life event and are encouraged to walk the track. From there, different ceremonies such as the luminaria and closing ceremony are executed. Team members participate in the numerous amount of activities available and overall have fun with each other at the event. As stated on the Relay for Life website, Relay was started when a man, Dr. Gordy Klatt, a colorectal surgeon, spent 24 hours walking around a local track in Tacoma, Washington as a way to promote the local cancer charity in his hometown. By walking the track for one whole day, Dr. Klatt was able to raise $27,000 in May of 1985. With this type of motivation and inspiration, Relay for Life has become a worldwide event with nearly 20 countries, such as Canada and The United Kingdom, participating in it, along with four million participants. Relay offers the chance for those who have been touched by cancer to gather together and celebrate the impact a group of people can make. After Dr. Klatt’s first successful Relay event, he later hosted a second Relay event one year later at the Historical Stadium Bowl and had a total of 19 teams participating and raised $33,000. His legacy was clearly not forgotten considering that Relay for Life is one of the major cancer fundraisers in America. Despite Gordy passing at a young age of 71 due to stomach cancer, his efforts have made a huge impact throughout the world and people’s hearts.

Relay has grown since its origins and is now a popular event with adults and high school students participating in them. As a member of the FLOW (Franklin Lakes, Oakland, and Wyckoff) community, participating in Relay for Life has given me the opportunity to realize and appreciate the community that surrounds me. As all of North Jersey comes together for the same cause, the empowerment and support that radiates through each and every single individual are truly amazing. Typically, students and adults form teams of however many members wanted and begin to raise money. As a member of a team, your responsibility includes raising as much money as possible to donate to the American Cancer Society. Although not a competition, each milestone that a team achieves when raising a certain amount of money is marked and noted by the Relay for Life Committee. As a member of Team Cure-iosity for the second year, being on this team has allowed me to grow as an individual and as a community member. With my team members being some of my closest friends while also having some of the strongest individuals on it who have faced adversity and challenges, being all together for this specific event makes it more genuine and supportive. Relay for Life brings in the raw and overwhelming feelings and emotions that people face through the speeches that are done in the beginning while also at the luminaria ceremony. Thanks to the Event Leadership Team for my town's Relay, all of their meticulous planning and coordination has allowed for another successful Relay as it only keeps growing and continues to get better every year. Although with the suspected downpour and lightning warnings from Friday evening to early Saturday morning, the disappointing weather report did not stop anyone from attending or having fun. With enough positive attitudes for the weather to clear up, it did not rain until early Saturday morning. The hourly planning of different activities throughout the night to keep individuals and teams awake and walking was clearly appreciated as people were constantly down at the field participating in lip sync battles, fashion shows, and different dance competitions. Regardless of the rain in the early morning, students and adults still persevered through the uncalled for weather conditions as if it were nothing.  

The effect that Relay for Life has on families and individuals is something that is notable and breathtaking. This yearly event is surely something that should not be missed as it is a great way to meet new people and join together in the same cause. With Relay happening in almost every state and in 20 participating countries, joining a team is a must as it gives you an experience that you would want to have every single year. The shared friendship and passion that you develop with strangers is an experience that is worthwhile and treasurable. Despite being a part of Relay for only a short two years, I know for sure that the future will not stop me from participating and raising money in the forthcoming years to help support the American Cancer Society.