Water Is Not Wet | Teen Ink

Water Is Not Wet

February 8, 2018
By bdt10292003 BRONZE, Keller, Texas
bdt10292003 BRONZE, Keller, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Water is not wet.

   Many people think water is actually wet, but here is some of my reasoning on why water is not wet;
   Definition of wet- adjective- covered or saturated with water or another liquid.
   Definition of Water- noun- a colorless, transparent, odorless, tasteless liquid that forms the seas, lakes, rivers, and rain and is the basis of the fluids of living organisms.
   Definition of liquid- noun- a substance that flows freely but is of constant volume, having a consistency like that of water or oil.
   Now for Google’s reasoning- “Water isn’t wet. Wetness is a description of our experience of water; what happens to us when we come into contact with water (or any other liquid) in such a way that it impinges on our state of being. We, or our possessions, ‘get wet’”


  Now for my logic;
   To say something is “wet” means that the water on the surface can be removed.
   Say when you get caught outside, in the rain, your shoes get wet, so you have to let them dry. When it rains. You don’t say that the ocean gets “wetter”.
   Example 1- Fire burns things, but  not in and of itself, burned. So water gets things wet, but it can not wet itself, therefore, water is not wet.
   The word “wet” is only supposed to be used when water (or any other liquid) gets on something.
   Example 2- Water is a water bottle- the water is not wet but the bottle itself is considered wet since the water that got in it or on it can be removed/dried.
   If you put water on to more water, you would be able to see the droplets settle into the water, because water is water. Water can not be wet when it’s mixed with itself.
   Wet is an adjective that is only conditional when used to describe the surface of something that is typically dry.
   A counter is dry until you pour water on it. Then the counter is wet. You wipe it off, now the counter is dry but your towel is wet, but it can still be dried. So it was wet and now it is not.
   So water can not be considered wet, under the circumstances that “wet” is an adjective that describes the surface of an object that is covered with water or another liquid, and water can not be covered in itself. On the other hand water is not dry since is a liquid.     Water is just water.