We Don't Need Your Help! | Teen Ink

We Don't Need Your Help!

December 20, 2017
By Halee.Avant BRONZE, Round Rock, Texas
Halee.Avant BRONZE, Round Rock, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Nobody can teach someone else how to grow up. The best people in life are the people, that are different.  We don’t need a bunch of the same people, we want people that are unique in the their own way.


In the book,”The Outsiders,”  there is a teen gang called the Greasers .Their rivals are the Socials. Later, Ponyboy and Johnny, part of the Greasers, got into a brawl that ends in a death of a Social member, which makes the boys forced into hiding. Soon, Ponyboy and Johnny along with Dallas and their other Greaser buddies, must contend with the consequences of their violent lives. While some Greasers try to achieve redemption, others meet tragic endings. During, this book Ponyboy lived with his older brothers, Sodapop and Darry, and Darry was the oldest brother. Darry wanted Ponyboy to be a good kid.  I know that parents, siblings or guardians just want the best for their children, but you can’t take the easy way through it and teach them how to grow up.  


In the movie,” Christmas Story,” there is a boy named Ralphie Parker and he spends most his time trying to ignore a bully. He is also dreaming of his ideal Christmas gift a,“Red Ryder air rifle,” Frequently at odds with his cranky father, but comforted by his doting mother. Ralphie also struggles to Christmas day with his glasses and his hopes intact. Ralphie’s doting mother is somewhat trying to make him a good kid and telling him to just ignore his bully for now and if keeps going then to tell a teacher. It kept going and Ralphie got tired of being bullied, so he punched his bully right in the face. Ralphie stood up for himself for once. After the fight, his mother was worried sick about him because he was bleeding on his face. Parents just want to protect their children, but let your child be free and let them stand up for themselves instead of letting their moms doing all the standing up and making them look bad.  


My personal experience in my life, is that my parents want me to be my best. They think that I should get all A’s, and they think that I should be the best soccer player on the field when I am at practice and at games. I kind of get that my parents want me to be my best, but sometimes being my best is hard. Have you ever thought of that? Sometimes we can all take an easy day. Oh, and sometimes they make life seem so easy because they got off at a good start in life. So now they think that I can do that, go to college, get a good paying job. Yeah, life is really easy, to my parents! I understand they want me to have a good life when I am an adult, but I am only in 7th grade. Can we just take a HUGE step back  and not worry about college or jobs or careers.


I have always wondered why my parents want me to worry about things that are going to happen in years!  I just don’t understand, why! Some days why can’t I take the easy way out it? We all need easy days at some points in our lives. 


The author's comments:

My inspiration came from my teacher, Mrs.Lansford, she belived in everyone that they can write an article. I hope that everyone knows that none can teach someone else how to grow up.