Women's Rights | Teen Ink

Women's Rights

“Feminism isn’t about making women stronger. Women are already strong. It's about changing the way the world perceives that strength  ” – G.D Anderson. What is a feminist? Feminist is a person who believes in the social political and economic equality of the sexes. Meaning you believe in equality between the sexes.Being a feminist doesn't mean you hate man it just simply means that you believe that we are both humans and deserve equal rights. Wanted to be treated the same with no “ you can't do this because you are a girl” . In reality man and woman are both capable of doing the same thing gender doesn't matter, it shouldn't matter. Being a feminist means going against stereotypes that categories woman in the same category. The category that states that we are weak and are aren't that good at sports, the  my favorite color is pink  category which isn't a bad to be in but we are not all the same. We have different likes and interest but some people believe that because we are women we have to act a certain way and like certain things because that's how  society perceives us to be but in reality it's not like that . We believe in being yourself , we believe you can do whatever you want , that just because you are a girl you can't do something is the biggest lie in the book. That's what it mean to be a feminist. It might be the twenty first century and yes women’s  rights have come a long way but we are still not equal, around the world some of us are still put under category because of our gender.Whether you realize it or not we are still looked down upon. We don’t have a say, decisions are still made for us by men who don’t even know us. We are paid differently. Our sexual rights are different. Most importantly our educational opportunities are different. It still feels like just because you are born a male automatically makes your rights superior than a females.

Most people would think that women equality is not a big problem or even non existence in America anymore and that women have a easy carefree life but these facts will surprise you. When its comes to how we are paid on average a woman makes 77 cents every dollar earned by a man however if you are a colored woman African-American women earn 64 and Latinas earn 56 cents for every dollar earned by a caucasian man. When you're talking about a dollar it doesn't seem like that big of a difference however as the amount of money raises the difference increases. For example let's say a men makes 1,000 dollars a week , a women would only make 770 dollars for the same exact job. Which is probably why  women are more likely to live in poverty. Therefore, this is making it hard for one single women to support their children. As a result, most women are having to work more hour and spent less time with their children.

Being a female automatically make our sexual rights different too .Every year, an estimated 15 million girls under 18 are married worldwide, with little or no say in the matter.Their usually  married to men how are way older then them with no choice. In Saudi Arabia, women aren't allowed to drive and are discouraged from working jobs that would put them in contact with men. The unemployment rate for women is 34 percent for women, 7 percent for men. Its ridiculous how the government looks down on a women for just trying to take care of her family. What makes me even more mad about all of this is the  “Tampon Tax” which means that tampons and women essentials are considered luxury items.It might not mean much to you to pay a tax on it but if you were poor or homeless you wouldn't  have a access to these things because they are considered luxury items.

Did you know that american women serving in Iraq or Afghanistan are more likely to be raped by a comrade then killed by an enemy.This  should serve as a gut-wrenching reminder of the massive inexcusable problem in the United States military. These victims are people who volunteered to serve our country and protect us, they should be our top priority.  Women around the world aged 15-44 are more at risk from rape and domestic violence than from cancer, car accidents, war and malaria. About 4 out of 5 victims of human trafficking are girls. Still to top it all of the U.S refuses to support an international bill of rights for women.

When Hillary Clinton was running for president against Donald Trump many believe that it's Clinton's gender that actually gives her an advantage. According to a Washington Post-ABC News poll released Monday, and about the same share of Americans say Clinton gets more of an advantage over Trump because she is a woman (32 percent) as say Trump has an edge because he is a man (29 percent). Some are as ignorant to say she is using her “women's card”. Really? Well let me break down the advantages a woman's card has.To order a women’s card it only cost 77 cents to every man's dollar. When buying a razor the women's card will only charge you 2 dollars more and for you it'll come in pink. Don’t you worry when it comes to that time of the month the women’s card will provide you with tampons however only if its under your budget because they are considered luxury item.  If you get pulled over by the cop for speeding the women card will advise you to show off your boob, you'll get right out of that ticket because you know at the end  the day that's better then getting forcfully groped. With the women's card the darker you are the higher chance of getting rape and domestic violence. So please explain to me how her being a women and using her “women’s card” helps.

After all these facts i stated some will still say i’m wrong and i'm okay with that because i believe everyone has a right to uphold their  own opinion. I just hope that in the future women will be respected for upholding theirs. That we are not just looked at as a minority but as equals. Change starts with individuals standing up for it. So yes i'm a feminist and i'm willing to fight for equality because if i  ever have a daughter one day i don't ever want her to feel like just because you are born a male automatically makes your rights superior than a females.