open letter | Teen Ink

open letter

January 25, 2017
By savonb1 BRONZE, Clarkston, Georgia
savonb1 BRONZE, Clarkston, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Mr. President,

 

How are you doing Mr. President? My name is Savon, I am a senior in high school. I am writing this letter pertaining recent police brutality on African Americans. It’s really concerning me how hardly any charges are being done. Police brutality has occurred more and more over the past years. What’s so different from police officers and normal people? They shouldn’t have that much power. In fact” excessive force reports made up more than 23 percent of all police misconduct reports in 2016 “, (Cota institute national police misconduct) .This clearly shows how much police officers abuse their power, and it’s ridiculous.  “Black people were 4 times as likely to die while in custody or while being arrest opposed to other races. This shows how big of a role   racism plays in recent brutalities. Those are only some of the tens and tens of police brutality facts.


This problem in the United States has cause a lot of tension and many people are afraid of cops. Police should not be able to hurt someone severely if they were unarmed or doing anything wrong. Police Officers have the same rights as us, and just by being the "Authority" it does not give them the right to treat us differently and hurt us because we are Black or Latino. Cops these days are getting away with many obvious cases that are clearly not fair for all of those people. What we want from you our Future President is that you at least try to make a change. I know that changes do not happen overnight but this topic should not be ignored because it is only getting worse. Soon thousands of Police Officers will be murder innocent people and get away with it. These innocent people are losing all of their chances and opportunities in life and leaving behind all of those families that suffer so much. White people would like to be treated differently because of their race just like African Americans and Latinos should. Statistics show that most of the Police Brutality majorly happens to Black people and some Latino people. You as the President should take in mind that many of us Teens do care for the people and need problems like this to stop. It is a killing of an innocent person because of the officer’s mistaken assumption. As in many videos on YouTube and on the news, officers get angry when they see a person recording them and charge at them.


In my research, the U.S is being compared to other countries and shootings that they have in common. “If you can’t handle a dangerous situation without killing someone then the job isn’t for you.” In addition look more into their deaths, help those family get justice the right way, it shouldn't matter if their policemen or not when they step into the court they should be treated as a regular human. Police should look at the evidence like if it was a regular person who shot an unarmed African American. Let’s help the violence stop, so that everyone can be safe.

 


Sincerely,

Savon