GO CUBS GO | Teen Ink

GO CUBS GO

By Aristotle20 SILVER, Hemet, California
Aristotle20 SILVER, Hemet, California

Well isn’t this a site to see. After one hundred and eight years, the Chicago Cubs finally won a World Series! Whether you hate baseball, love baseball, hate the Cubs, or love the Cubs this is a site to see. Looking back one hundred and eight years is a long time and many things were different, Girl Scouts wasn’t selling their cookies yet; the Scouts weren't discovered till 1912, Crossword Puzzles weren't in newspapers yet, and, worst of all, twinkies weren’t even invented yet! There was also some notable ages of some famous people you may of heard of; Al Capone was 10, Babe Ruth was 13, Thomas Edison was 61, and good ole Mark Twain was 73. Anyways, enough about 1908, let's talk about how the Chicago Cubs got to the top of the baseball mountain. Last season, Rookie of the Year winner Kris Bryant, Cy Young award winner Jake Arrieta, along with Anthony Rizzo had turned some heads after making it as the 5th seed wild card and beating the Pittsburgh Pirates for a shot against, the 1st seeded St. Louis Cardinals most ruled out the Cubs but with a huge upset beat the Cardinals in just 4 games! Following that they were knocked out by the powerhouse of the season known as the New York Mets. Following that postseason Joe Maddon, the Cubs Manager, knew he was leading this team in the right direction. After making a few changes in the off season, Maddon knew his team was ready. After having a phenomenal start to the season, the National League All Star Team’s starting lineup consisted of 5 out of the 9 starting players being Cubs! The Cubs after the All Star Break didn’t slow down either, finishing the season with the best record in baseball, with 103 wins and only 58 loses! Going into the Postseason as the number 1 seed isn't always a blessing though, because well the San Francisco Giants made past the wild card game and onto face the Cubs and it's 2016 and the previous 2 even years the Giants have won the world series and after the outstanding performance against the New York Mets they looked to make it 3 consecutive even years.The Cubs however did win games one and two and then, game three the Giants had enough of the Cubs winning that game, with it looking like the Giants might have found the secret to shutting down the Cubs, the Cubs come back and win game 4 to win the series. With that the Cubs looked to be unstoppable but then came the Los Angeles Dodgers. After losing game one of the series the Los Angeles Dodgers played their hearts out shutting down the Cubs for two games but, suddenly the Cubs remembered that they are the best team in baseball and kept the Dodgers for 2 of the next 3 games with Cubs prevailing as the 2016 National League Champions, but it wasn't over, the Cubs had one final series left and it would turn out to be the toughest 7 games the Cubs will have ever played and they were up against the Cleveland Indians. After losing the first game the Cubs mimicked that with a win right back. With the series tied Cleveland realized what was at stake and won 2 games back to back. Realizing this the Cubs once again remembered that they finished 103-58 and were the best in the league  won 2 games back to back. With the series being first team to 4 games and both teams having 3 wins you knew this game would be one for the books. The Cubs answered first with a run in the top of the first inning but that didn't last long. The bottom of the 3rd inning the Indians came right back with a run of their own. The Cubs came back with 2 runs in the 4th and kept the Indians quite for their half of the inning. The 5th inning lead to both teams scoring 2 runs each. The Cubs were up 6 to 4 thru the 9th when suddenly just like out of a scene you would have created with some friends in a backyard, Cleveland's last chance to at least tie the game, they did just that! With the game going into extra innings a rain delay was called which made the game so much more intense. A World Series game 7 needing to go into extras and having a rain delay! After the rain delay the Cubs came ready to play ball! With a 2 run inning the Cubs had a comfortable lead. With the Indians coming up to bat they weren’t as ready as the Cubs were, to start at least with 2 out bottom of the 10th inning the Indians try to spark a 2 out rally by tallying one run but that one run wasn't enough. With a weak ground ball hit up to the 3rd baseman Kris Bryant, he made an amazing barehanded throw to Anthony Rizzo to end the Cubs 108 year World Series drought. In the words of Kris Bryant after the game; “That’s one of the best games anybody will ever see.”

The Cubs have finally endend their 108 year World Series drought