The Minimum Wage Debate is Far From Over | Teen Ink

The Minimum Wage Debate is Far From Over

By ireneciocirlan BRONZE, Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
ireneciocirlan BRONZE, Hummelstown, Pennsylvania

HERSHEY - Seven twenty-five may seem like just a price, but for some people it’s all they have to live on.
Many students work jobs over the summer, with the majority of students working at Hershey Park or Chocolate World. Both of these businesses pay their employees more, less, or exact minimum wage, depending on their experience. Some businesses like McDonald’s pay their employees $7.50 an hour, while Walmart is trying to increase their “minimum wage” to at least $9 an hour by April. Students that work are familiar with minimum wage and their opinions vary between if it should be raised or lowered.

Grace, a freshman, was paid $6.75 at her job in the Food & Beverage department at Hersheypark. By the end of summer 2014, Grace earned a little over $1,000. She was happy with that. However, she mentioned that it may not be enough for some people. “If I’m raising a family I need to make more than $6.75 an hour,” said Grace.

At 14 years old when she started working, Grace was fine with how much she got paid. She loved it. The thrill of knowing she was responsible was enough for her. However, when asked if she thinks age is a factor, she added that the older the employee is, the more money the employee should make. “I think if you’re 18 you should make more. By the time you’re 18 you have more responsibilities, like saving up for college or a car,” said Grace. She then said that she was just saving money for clothes.

Owen, a junior, got paid $7.50 and earned $2,200 by the end of summer. Despite being 17 years old and getting paid above minimum wage, he argued that age shouldn’t contribute to your hourly wages.“It [your pay] should be about the quality of the job and your experience, not how old you are,” said Owen. “I work at retail at Chocolate World and I think that’s why I get paid above minimum wage.”  

John Payne, a Pennsylvania State Representative, agrees with Owen. “Hersheypark and other local businesses just want people to work there. The employee’s age shouldn’t be an issue unless they’re under 14 [or whatever the age requirement is],” said Payne. He also added that Hersheypark tries to attract customers with their employee benefit package. “What with discounted food & drinks, employee after parties, and family passes, Hersheypark makes their employees forget about the pay because they offer so much more,” said Payne.

Forty-two Hershey High School students were asked their opinion on minimum wage. 45% of students thought it should be higher, 7% thought it should be lower, and 35% thought it should stay the same. According to Payne, Pennsylvania has a bill in form right now to make changes to minimum wage. Unfortunately, the information hasn’t been disclosed if they will make it higher or lower. Many people are in favor of higher wages; New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio called increased wages the “crucial need of our times,” and President Obama proposed raising it to $10.10 an hour.

According to a recent New York Times article, 29 states now exceed the federal minimum. However, the state doesn’t always have control over how much companies pay their employees. For example, Walmart is trying to raise their minimum wage. “All of its US workers will earn at least $9 an hour by April and at least $10 by next February,” said Hiroko Tabuchi, writer for the New York Times.

McDonalds is paying their employees $7.50. Payne said that some jobs can’t find employees with what they pay, since there are so many more businesses that pay above minimum wage. “Companies are all going to have to match [McDonalds],” said Payne. “Otherwise why would young people want to work there?”

When asked if there’s a difference in pay between being a franchise like Subway and a local business like Fenicci’s, Grace said it isn’t an issue. “They’re both just trying to get people to work for them. People will come to the restaurants or franchises that have the best pay,” he explained.

Students that work at local businesses can’t change how much they get paid, but they have opinions on their hourly wages should be raised or lowered. “As someone who works I think it would be nice to be higher, but at the same time I don’t deserve to get paid a lot for my first low level job,” added Owen.

I wrote this in my Journalism 1 class as our second article of the year. I hope people are more informed about minimum wage and how student's opinions on minimum wage can influence the debate.

citizen1 said...
In today's world, where the ratio of CEO pay to that of the average worker is 300 to 1, and most of corporate profits go to the 1% of our society, having a conversation on minimum wage is our civic duty, not a choice.