Language in the Real World: Why is Suicide Caused? | Teen Ink

Language in the Real World: Why is Suicide Caused?

March 24, 2015
By Morrie_Piper_Pan BRONZE, Park City, UT, Utah
Morrie_Piper_Pan BRONZE, Park City, UT, Utah
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Most people don’t know the reality behind someones choice to end their life. To this day I still wonder why my friend attempted it, and if I asked she would say that it was because she misses her mother, who passed away June 27, 2014, I don’t believe that she would throw her life out the door for her mother unless their may have been more than one reason. If I were to say that people commit suicide because of bullying I would hear people say ‘But isn’t there some sort of ban on bullying?’ or ‘I think depression is the most common cause for suicide.’ There is the fact that people end it all due to depression, but is that really the only cause of suicide?

Suicide has only recently become a problem in the world, or has become a bigger problem in the world. Suicide is at it’s highest rates in 25 years, with 12.6 suicide deaths per 100,000 Americans (Casey Leins from U.S. News and World Reports) and has seemed to happen the most to those teens in which have had a hard time in school, at home, and on the internet. Students and kids who are considering suicide may be self-harming, and if this is so, you may be able to help them. Not only are you able to tell with physical harm, but they may also say things that may tip you off about their thoughts on/of suicide.

Knowing the reality behind a suicide is like knowing the truth behind a lie. Learning the truth behind suicide will always be difficult, but it’s not impossible. Know that you can always look into the past to try and learn why is what helps us grow and may also stop a life from beginning lost in the future. The one thing to learn from this is that with each loss of a life is a gain won to bullying, depression, etc. Thinking back to my friend and what I have written I know understand why she might of attempted suicide, it wasn’t that she just wanted to see her mother again, but that she is alone and in need of a friend. Those friends are miles from her and hard to talk to by text.

 

The Citaion:

Leins, Casey. "U.S. Suicides Hit Highest Rate in 25 Years." US News. U.S.News & World Report, 8 Oct. 2014. Web. 21 Mar. 2015.


The author's comments:

I wrote this peace not only for a school assignment, but hoping to learn why my friend might of attempted to end her own life.