Pop Culture (And How It's All Going To Hell In A Handbasket) | Teen Ink

Pop Culture (And How It's All Going To Hell In A Handbasket)

By Catie Kobayashi SILVER, Princeton Junction, New Jersey
Catie Kobayashi SILVER, Princeton Junction, New Jersey

*Disclaimer: I am probably the farthest thing from an expert on all the celebrities mentioned in this article.

I'm not a pop fiend, I'm going to say that right off the bat. To be truthful, I'm most likely the farthest thing from informed on all things pop -- or media in general. See, I prefer to stay in my own little world consisting mainly of sarcasm, philosophical wonderings, books, and writing. (And BuzzFeed and Cracked, but I digress.) Both my friends and I were amazed when I decided to come out of my shell-- my friends eager, me slightly nervous. However, I must thank one particular friend of mine (she's a pop fiend) for helping with my research-- so kudos to you, Rebecca.

Anyways, the point of this is to point out exactly how superstar "celebrities" of today have gone straight to Hell. Now, let me just make note of something- I do not claim to hate any of these celebrities. I do not know them, nor do I know their stories. I, like many people, will be judging them simply based upon how the media portrays them.

Let's start with the most notorious, Justin Bieber. Remember that time, a couple years ago, when Justin was the adorable, innocent boy? The one who started the craze about the Bieber cut? Yes? I do. Now, let's take a look at him now. He's been arrested at least four times, has several tattoos, and smokes-- both pot and cigarettes. (I believe...) So, to sum up, this pop star has gone from a sweet role model to someone parents are trying to keep their kids away from. Wow...

My second victim-- I mean, example, is Louis Tomlinson. The once-lovable, goofy, sassy member of One Direction has since taken a turn for the worse. He was caught smoking weed, and has sent quite a few tweets that are most certainly angry. His most recent Twitter fight was actually one he provoked, and at least to me, demonstrates his homophobia. Now, let's be truthful here. In this day and age, homophobia is criticized, at least among the younger generations. Not to mention that in quite a few of the interviews I was shown, Louis appears to be quite brash, and takes things a little too far. (I think he should look into anger management...)

Now for the girls. For this, I have two examples-- Miley Cyrus (obviously) and one a little less extreme, Selena Gomez.

Miley... How to start? Well, let's begin with Hannah Montana. Remember Hannah? The sassy blonde pop star every girl loved? And Miley, who had long brown hair and was very pretty? Yeah, well, I do. I think I can pinpoint the beginning of her downfall to a couple months after she finished up with her movie, when she released Party In The USA. The video was slightly provocative with the skimpily dressed woman dancing on poles and well, twerking. (I know, I hate that word too, but what other word is there to describe the motion?) Then came the release of the more mature songs- Every Rose Has Its Thorn, Can't Be Tamed, etc. The album cover demonstrates a darker version of Miley, one that, at the time, the public hadn't seen. Then came the Liam Hemsworth fiasco, when she did that crazy thing with her hair. Now that, that was the point when a lot of people began to say "Whoa. Where'd Miley go?". With the hairdo came a whole lot of bad-- the VMA Awards, Wrecking Ball, and a few other things. So yeah, she's definitely gone off track.

Selena is still good... Well, kind of. See, I'm wondering what happened to the innocent Disney girl we knew and loved. I mean, have you seen Come And Get It-- the music video? It's ridiculous how skimpily the girls and Selena are dressed. And then, there's the Spring Breakers film, with tiny tops and nearly non--existent shorts. Ridiculous. But yeah, watch out-- Selena's going to be next to tumble down, mark my words.

Honestly though, I think both the paparazzi and the media have played a big part in how celebrities have gone down. I mean, the pressure they are put under is ridiculous, and once they change their image, they can't go back--ever. So they have to go on, the media pointing out every flaw in their actions, dissecting their every move, their every word. And the media is so good at twisting things too, which begins a trail of dominoes in an exhausting cycle.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that yeah, the celebrities are going way, way downhill. But take it easy on them--after all, they're only human.