Frederick Douglass: A Hero To Those Who Faced Segregation | Teen Ink

Frederick Douglass: A Hero To Those Who Faced Segregation

By Hager2015 GOLD, Staten Island New York, New York
Hager2015 GOLD, Staten Island New York, New York

"There is nothing impossible to him who will try." -Alexander The Great

“I Would Rather Die,” is an incredible thought provoking true story of Frederick Douglass. Frederick Douglass was a slave from birth, but as he grew up he did not want to be a slave, he wanted to be free. For Frederick Douglass reading played a big role in his journey for freedom.

To Frederick Douglass, reading played a big role in his journey for freedom. For instance, reading had affected Freddy’s life because when he first began to learn how to read by his previous owners Miss Sophy taught him how to read, only that her husband told her later on that reading would make Freddy unfit for his slave duties. Since then Freddy realized how learning how to read could be his pathway for freedom because knowledge made him unfit for a slave. This proves that reading played a role in Frederick’s journey for freedom because he knew if he continued reading, he would gain more knowledge and if he gain knowledge then it would make him unfit for a slave, giving Frederick his passage way to freedom.

In the captivating text “I Would Rather Die,” reading had played a big role in Frederick’s journey to freedom. After reading this incredible story I believe that reading plays an important role in everyone’s lives, and it could be one day your passage way to a whole new beginning.

i was inspired to write this piece when i had first read an article about Frederick Douglass. after reading this article it inspired me to write this essay to show others that there are many people that were and are treated differently becasue of their race and becasue of this many suffered, and i believed that becasue of these slight differences people should still be treated the smae and given the same privileges.