The Curious Case of Immigration | Teen Ink

The Curious Case of Immigration

March 18, 2014
By Surya Reddy BRONZE, Columbus, New Jersey
Surya Reddy BRONZE, Columbus, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Immigration occurs everyday. Some immigrants take time to fill out documents and complete tests. Their patience ultimately pays off as they enter the U.S. legally. On the other hand, there are people who decide patience isn’t an option and would rather enter illegally. The U.S. has constantly commented that they will not tolerate illegal immigrants. But is it really the immigrants’ fault? Can we help these immigrants?

Not all countries are democracies like the U.S. We are extremely lucky to be living in such a flexible and caring country. Many people would love to live here. But it’s not always easy for them. For example, many sedulous Cubans try hard to come here.The U.S. tries to help Cubans leave their country. Many Cubans are sports players on the rise. Yasiel Puig, baseball player from Cuba, explained how he tried many times to escape his country. It wasn’t easy but he found a way. Now he is a young up and coming baseball player.

Cubans are one of many people trying to dodge their country for the U.S. To help make immigrants dreams a reality, the Senate proposed the Dream Act in 2001. This Act was to help 10 million immigrants gain freedom in the U.S. through good moral behavior and becoming a high school graduate. Although the Act was never passed, it led to more discussions on immigration. Some states, like California, enacted the Dream Act. This is one step to help many immigrants become permanent residents or citizens in the United States.

From the Dream Act to now, the U.S. has made tremendous progress. In 2013, 99.5% of illegal immigrants that applied became legal (Dinan). In 2014, the House of Republican came up with a brilliant plan to help around 11 million illegal workers (brought as children) gain legal status and possible citizenship (Weisman). This brilliant plan is brilliant because the Democrats like it as well. If both parties can come to an agreement, many immigrants would have their dreams become a reality. This is a gigantic leap from where the U.S. was a decade ago.
Major League Baseball helped Yasiel Puig in coming to the U.S. The U.S. also wants to help others entered illegally. However, there are some Americans who don’t favor having illegal immigrants. Some want them to become citizens or only residents and some want illegal immigrants removed. John Boehner said, “ It’s one thing to pass a law. It’s another thing to have the confidence of the American people behind the law” (Weisman). Right now the situation is a bit enigmatic. But I believe that it’s time we help these immigrants.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/31/us/politics/house-gop-issues-immigration-plan-with-path-to-legal-status.html?_r=0
http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/issues/DREAM-Act
http://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/frequently-requested-statistics-immigrants-and-immigration-united-states
http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/06/us/immigration-statistics-fast-facts/
https://www.ice.gov/removal-statistics/
http://publicreligion.org/research/2013/11/2013-immigration-ii/
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/apr/22/995-of-illegal-immigrants-get-approval-for-legal-s/?page=all


The author's comments:
My parents came from India and they explained to me the process that they went through and how stressful it was. Also, I read many articles on how many sports players come from other countries to the U.S. to pursue their dream but their journey isn't always easy. That is why I chose this topic.