Facebook Speech | Teen Ink

Facebook Speech

February 4, 2014
By cupcakequeen59 SILVER, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
cupcakequeen59 SILVER, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Thank you so much for giving me this opportunity to speak to you today. I am here to address the colossal issues of social networks. Do you want to live in a world where teenagers constantly face the dangers of cyber bullying and ravenous predators stalking them? Beware of the cyber world! We need to prevent villainous predators from stalking people online. Be the change!
Teenagers need to realize that posting pictures online can hurt them in the long run. We need to join together to fight against online predators. Each and every one of you can help by simply informing your family and friends. We must all work together to spread the word. How many times have you thought that posting something online will not make any difference? Posting pictures of yourself on Instagram and other social networks is like letting a stranger into your house. People who do this are idiots. Predators might stalk you because of these pictures. Be the change! We must inform our friends of the hazards and turn on our privacy settings frequently, to prevent others from seeing our pictures and information.
As terrifying as the thought may be, there are actually people who would try to stalk you. Telling a friend where you are going out to eat is like telling everyone online. Have you ever seen those people in big cities who you can't see their eyes, but you get this creepy feeling they are watching you? Imagine that person seeing your comment online. How would you feel if they “happened” to be at the same restaurant you told your friend you were going to that day. There are people who will stalk you if they have enough information. It is perilous to put pictures online because you never know who will see them. Be careful when you accept friend requests. Social network predators are often a solemn issue that most people choose to ignore.
Pictures are not the only things we share too much of, personal information is another example. People can often get an address or phone number if they have a name. Don't give other people more information than they need about you. Don't accept friend requests unless you know someone personally, because people make fake identities. It is not sagacious, or wise, to friends someone you don't know. Atrocious things can happen if you do.
We can not stop the use of social networks (although some parents are conservative when it comes to letting their kids online), nor can we ignore the immense dilemmas we face everyday on social networks.
To fix this issue, we must tell everyone how to be safe online, and make sure that you are not saying too much about yourself on Twitter and other social networks.
To conclude, Dr Martin Luther King Jr once said, “I have a dream...” We have all gathered here today with the same dream—that one day teenagers will be able to go online without the anxieties of predators stalking them. Together we can do anything, accomplish any task, and be the change!