The Culture of Online Gaming | Teen Ink

The Culture of Online Gaming

By CanaBean PLATINUM, Houston, Texas
CanaBean PLATINUM, Houston, Texas

Give a beggar a million dollars and he'll use it for food, but what happens after he's full...

The role of technology has unraveled our culture for so many years that its taken a collision course with an entirely new culture of online gaming. The definition of online gaming is that it is a technology rather than a genre, a mechanism for connecting players together rather than a particular pattern of game play. Online gamers have a variety of games to browser from that even the games themselves have been built in order to mimic our lives. There are strategy games, that enables the player to survive or makes the player solve a puzzle in order to move on. Psychologically, these games test our brains skills in certain subjects and dissuasion making skills while others see the games as harmful and could lead to anti-social behavior by letting one create another personality through online gaming.

Though the aspect I mentioned earlier about online gaming testing our ability of comprehension the culture itself has been met with mixed reviews. Its followers coming from the gamers themselves while those who oppose this isolated lifestyle have objected to certain games that are advertised and marketed towards children and young adults. The media has deemed these games violent one person shooter games that young children and teenagers should not play due to the recent tragedies of school shootings in the United States. When in reality the culture itself is being criticized because several people do not understand it. Psychology has come a long way from a person just being treated for a disease that they did not have to begin with to now where a diagnoses is only necessary if a catastrophic event happens. The negative effect of online gaming as brought forth by the media is that the players of these games will have no other choice then to be violent, however psychology has shown that people who play these games show an increase in traits of openness, conscientiousness, and extraversion than non-players. The statics show that in 2007 there were 270 million online gamers world wide. Now if it is in fact true that these two hundred and seventy million people around the world who follow this culture will eventually become violent while playing these games and decide to act upon there fantasy roles as the media intends, then that would be outrageous.

That's not all, it seems that online gaming has become a culture within itself. The thought of gathering others that you may not know from around the world to play as a group in a fantasy world might sound dangerous to non-players, but in foundation is what keeps online gaming a culture. Online gamers create their own social institutions by simply directing characters into positions and giving them tasks or missions. In our postmodern society where everything we buy must be technologically advanced, we have to remember that not all online gaming is bad and not assume that the players will all become mentally ill in the future. They are a culture, to a group of people who spend more than six hours a week playing online games and following both norms and sanctions of their own.

The Culture and Psychology of Online Gamers.

on May. 26 2015 at 7:04 am
gr8 m8 i r8 8/8