Roman On Idol | Teen Ink

Roman On Idol

November 27, 2012
By GiovanniCarcamo SILVER, Attleboro, Massachusetts
GiovanniCarcamo SILVER, Attleboro, Massachusetts
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

This season Nicki Minaj will be one of the new judges on American Idol. The other two new judges will be Mariah Carey and Keith Urban, and of course, Randy Jackson will still be by their sides. Many fans of both American Idol and Minaj were surprised that the singer joined the American Idol panel.

Casssie (12), a fan of Minaj, was ecstatic that the star will be on the show. She felt that Minaj is the only female rapper of this decade, and that people who will audition for the show will do their best because a lot of young people look up to her.

Evan though she likes Minaj on the show she said, “It wasn’t a good move for her because she’s a singer not a judge.”

There has always been confusion about Minaj and her music. Is she a pop star, like Madonna, or a hip-hop star, like Jay-Z. Did American Idol want a squeaky clean pop star or a gangster hip hop star?

“She is a hip-hop star to me and I believe American Idol wanted that,” said Casssie.

A fan of American Idol, Emily (11) isn’t a fan of Minaj but does feel that the ratings will go up now that she is on the show. She also thinks that Minaj will be the “nice” judge on the show, and expects her to be more kind than the other three judges.

Emily said, “She’s unique, so she will see a different point of view in people,” as for Minaj as a pop or hip-hop star she said, “Personally I think she’s a pop star but I also think the show aimed for both as if a two in one.’

Dehlia (11), another Minaj fan, said, “I feel like she shouldn’t be on Idol, because her style of music is not American Idol.”

Dehlia thinks that Minaj can contribute guidance to future young artists. She said, “I think it was a good choice, because she can gain experience with mentoring others, which can lead to mentoring herself, and it will expand her career for the next generation that will continue to watch the show.”

“I expect her to mature more in her music. I would be surprised if she told someone something negative and she turned out to be the mean judge,” said Dehlia , who has high expectations of Minaj.

Teresa (9) is very excited about one of her favorite singers being on the show. “She will bring a lot of creativity.” Since Minaj is on the show, she thinks new genres and new styles of music will be performed.

“Hip-hop star because she mostly raps,” Teresa said, on deciphering her genre. She expects Minaj to be herself on the show, and is a fan who believes Minaj will be the nice one out of the four judges.

According to Wetpaint.com, American Idol will have a two-night premiere next Jan. 16 and 17 at 8 p.m. on Fox Network.