The Time I... | Teen Ink

The Time I...

By Alanda BRONZE, Auburn, New York
Alanda BRONZE, Auburn, New York
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Personal Narrative

9/14/12

The Time I…
Last summer I did something that has made a very big impact on my life. I popped my knee out of place. Now, I have to be careful of what I do because I could just as easily do it again. I learned that I have to be very conscious. I have to do many things with my knee to make it strong again.
This experience has changed my life a lot. One way is, now my knee is very weak. It’s only weak because I refused to go to therapy after the first time. I thought it was worthless. Now that I look back, I think it made a dumb choice. Instead of going to therapy I was at my friend’s house trying to help them pack. They were moving to Reno, Nevada as soon as the last two weeks of school was over. I wasn’t a big help after all.
Another example, I had to wear a knee brace. This went up almost my whole leg, so I couldn’t bend my knee. I had it on for almost a month. I couldn’t do what I do best, run around like a wild animal with my friends. If I couldn’t see over something, I couldn’t carry it. Helping my neighbors was very difficult. I wasn’t able to bend my knee, making it hard to walk I just sat around for a little while.
Are you wondering how I managed to pop my knee out and did it hurt? Well, yes it did hurt, but I didn’t cry until the nurse left me in the x-ray room for like a half hour. I thought this was the end of me. It was going to be the last time I was going to see my family. It wasn’t obviously, but I was scared.

Here’s how I did it, I was running around with my siblings and some friends. I went to move out the way, because someone was ridding a bike and I was in the way. I moved, stopped and walked two steps backward. My knee came out. I saw it and then I fell in slow motion so therefore, I didn’t get hurt. My brother watched me and just stood there. I was yelling to everyone. I MESSED MY KNEE UP AND I CANT GET UP! No one heard me, of course. Then after they finally did it was like five minutes later. I told them to get my mom, which no one knew where she was. Although they knew she was at my house or the neighbors. Everyone but me was freaking out then, finally when mom got over to me someone called the ambulance. They came and took my mom and me to the hospital and my friend Chrystal met us there with her mom. While in the vehicle my knee hurt worse because the street had a lot of potholes and we managed to hit them all.

Now, we are there and we waited all night. They old us they were going to have to pop it back in and I was scared. They moved me into a big scary room that had all the medicine in it. All the workers came to see my knee because everyone was talking about it and how I was taking it like a champ. They finally took blood and gave me IV. So they could put the medicine through it. That was so I wasn’t traumatized and didn’t remember. Then I got crutches and we went home to bed, finally. I really needed that rest.
Eventually, it healed and I was back to walking well. Although, my knee will never be exactly the same again I will be fine. I still have issues with it. It hurts for no reason. I rub it and the pain goes away, sometimes.

so_joy SILVER said...
on Dec. 13 2012 at 11:56 am
so_joy SILVER, Navesink, New Jersey

"Be the change you want to see."

I hope you feel better!!! This is very well-written, great job! Please read, rate, and comment on my poems! It would mean a lot:) Thanks!