#TeenProblems | Teen Ink

#TeenProblems

February 4, 2012
By Anonymous

Being a teenager can be rough. It’s true that our problems might not seem very important in the grand scheme of things, but they are problems nonetheless. Also, we have no idea how to deal with all of the things going on in our lives. So we ask someone older to give us some advice. Most of the time that adult is a parent or a close family member. The thing is, adults aren’t always helpful. I’m sure all of us have been in a situation where following an adult’s advice has actually made things worse. So, in many cases, we are on our own. It’s a strange and difficult time. We are old enough to have real problems, yet we are too young to know what to do. We have to deal with things like sex, drugs, and drinking. The worst part is, that’s just the tip of the iceberg. We each have our individual problems that affect our everyday life. When you think about it, being a teenager can be pretty depressing.
However, this time our lives is necessary. All of these problems that we have will actually benefit us in the long run. When our pre-teen days are coming to an end, we are still fairly innocent. We have never had a problem that our parents couldn’t solve. When we were hungry, they fed us. When we were scared, they comforted us. Now that we’re older, we are in the unique position of being the only one who can deal with what is going on in our lives. How we deal with it, and the experience we gain, will help shape us into the person we will eventually become, whether that is a good thing or not. It’s a heavy burden, but it also one that we all must carry at some point. In some ways, it’s comforting to know that we are finally in control of things. So even though it can all seem hopeless, don’t give up. This benchmark in life is just the world’s way of telling us it’s time to become more.