Memorable Moment | Teen Ink

Memorable Moment

January 24, 2012
By KayMcgee BRONZE, Bakersfield, California
KayMcgee BRONZE, Bakersfield, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you don't want anyone to find out, then don't do it. - Chinese Proverb


Some lessons are learned the hard way, but the "regrets and mistakes our memories make" (Adele), just serve as a rough draft for the future. With that in mind it brings me back to my most memorable moment overall, which was the time I lost my parents trust. It all started when I skipped out on a bill at a pizza parlor. To someone who has done far worse than what I have done, my mistake seems like no big deal, but the person I am and the values I have makes every mistake I have made look ten times worst than what they really are.
It all started when I told my parents I was going to stay after school for tutoring. What my parents didn't know was that I was planning to head out to Highland to hang out with my high school friends instead. I knew I should not have done so because whenever i do choose to hang out with my friends from highland, trouble always seems to find me. Luckily, I was blessed with a natural talent of lying, but on the other hand actually going through with my "bad deed" is like pulling teeth. Not being aware of what I was getting myself into, I met up with my friends as planned and we all decided to eat at Magoo's, a pizza parlor. We ordered, sat, and ate to our hearts content. Unfortunately, no one bothered to pay attention to how we would pay for the meal and that was when everything started to go downhill.
I thought, out of the eleven people in our group, someone, somehow would pay for the meal, but in reality everyone was broke. With everyone's food completely gone, we all sat there exchanging looks with one another. I was probably the only one genuinely going haywire, and immediately i thought to myself," We are toast." I could not comprehend why everyone else remained so calm as if we were not going to get in trouble. When my good friend Jazzy, whispers in my ear "the plan" I figured we would be just fine. I was the first to go since i was almost entirely innocent. All of us made it out one by one, discreetly getting up from the table then walking out the front door.
"The plan" altogether appeared fool proof, but looks ,in some cases, end up deceiving. All in all, everything went just as planned until our waitress comes running out the parlor waving our bill in her hand yelling,"YOU FORGOT TO PAY!" During the waitress' outburst, it just so happened my parents were dropping off their dry cleaning a few buildings down. I suddenly felt an urge to disappear, but there was no place to hide, no where to run, and definitely no way out. My parents slowly drove past me driving the car to a stop, in the passenger seat was my dad, and from the looks of the expression on his face I already knew things started to make sense for him. He gradually rolled down the window and scolded me, sternly saying,"I know you see me Kayla, and if you know what is good for you, you better get your butt in this car." The dreadful short drive home felt like hours, but the silence seemed even more unbearable. As I prepared for the lecture and punishment I would receive when I get home, I couldn't help but think," Did anyone pay that bill?"
The punishment I had gotten did not do any justice to my behavior. I deserved far worse than dish duty for a week even if washing the dishes didn't mean shoving them in the dish washer. I might have lost my parents trust, but I did gain one heck of a story.

The author's comments:
This was an essay for my english class. We were assigned to do an essay about our most memorable moment.