Dear Eating Disorder | Teen Ink

Dear Eating Disorder

January 10, 2012
By KateKlosterman SILVER, Wyndmere, North Dakota
KateKlosterman SILVER, Wyndmere, North Dakota
9 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
Be impossible because impossible just means I'm possible.


Dear Eating Disorder,


I’ve been with you since I’ve walked through the doors of my high school career. I’ve listened to you, obeyed your every command, and let you take over my life. I let you control my every move, emotion, and thought for four years. I’m finally strong and brave enough to take a stand and shut you up. Yes, I said it. I am shutting you up and doing it with a smile on my face. Eating Disorder, ED, Monster, Beast whatever they call you, I’m done. I’m so over you. I will never turn to you when I’m in pain, stressed, or pissed off. You’ve made my life harder than it had to be. I regret having you turn compliments into insults and love turn to hate. ED, you haven’t’ only affected me but you did a number on my family and friends. I lost them. I fought with them, yelled at them, and punished them because your commands were so loud. I couldn’t hear their pleading for my health or see their pain. I only saw you and gave all my attention to you. Now, you will never ever have me again. Every time you want to talk or order me around…FORGET IT! I will gladly reject your presence. Talk to the hand, this girl has something to show the world and you’re holding her back. Eating Disorder, I’m leaving you in the dust with nothing but your ridiculous rules and outrageous expectations. I am a healthier, happier, and stronger person without you. I have nothing holding me back. I am starting my life over by graduating high school, going to college, and fulfilling my dreams. Let me live, let me be happy, let me go. I will always look back, think about our time together, and say, “Wow, you really screwed me over”. Well, I’m off to a better life and proud to say you aren’t and NEVER will be apart of it.

Love,
Kate

The author's comments:
I wrote this while I was in treatment for an eating disorder. Writing this letter helped me by breaking free from this monster controlling my life.