Born to riot | Teen Ink

Born to riot

By EmmaSJacobs GOLD, London, Other
EmmaSJacobs GOLD, London, Other

This summer, several UK cities were poleaxed by a series of riots. The establishment, media and peace loving majority were horrified by the images that dominated the news. Strong men with stronger ideas put their morals aside, ignoring authority and letting their inner Neanderthal loose.

A recent study by the Guardian said that in the riots in Reading, of the 270 questioned 81% said that the August disturbances would happen again. Two- thirds predicted that before 2014 more riots would take place. This suggests they are proud of their choice to participate and would spend no time procrastinating over weather they would re-create such a disturbance.

The research showed us that monetary and archaic class divisions were big factors. The catalyst for these disruptions was the killing of a man by a police man.
The riots happened mostly in poorer areas like Tottenham.

29% of those questioned disagreed with the statement ‘life is full of opportunities.’ 85% thought poverty was an ‘important’ or ‘very important’ factor in causing the riots. 68% of the general population agree.

After the riots, the prime minister, David Cameron said "These riots were not about poverty. That insults the millions of people who, whatever the hardship, would never dream of making others suffer like this."

Interviews with rioters showed that amongst them the large majority were uneducated, unemployed and pauperized. Two fifths of young people who appeared in court in connection to the riots were receiving free meals.

Experts are worried an epidemic of riots will sweep the UK during the Olympics. The prime minister and mayor are working with local police chiefs to insure that measures are in place to limit the chances of this happening.

I had been inspired to start this as I was writing it as a tabloid/ broadsheet essay for school. I hope you enjoy it and I tried to keep it as bias as I could because frankly EVERYONE has broadcasted their opinion on the matter.