Woody vs. Buzz Lightyear | Teen Ink

Woody vs. Buzz Lightyear

November 23, 2011
By PackerFan12 GOLD, Glendale, Wisconsin
PackerFan12 GOLD, Glendale, Wisconsin
14 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Winning isn't everything. It's the only thing" Vince Lombardi


In a person's childhood, there are many prominent figures that influence there life, parents, friends, teachers, and storybook characters. Because of this, children have many role models to emulate; they influence a child's everyday lifestyle. Woody from the Disney Pixar movie, Toy Story, is the perfect role model for a young child and is also the most likable and admirable character in Toy Story. Woody is a quick-witted, sensible cowboy who overcomes many hurdles in his lifetime. Woody is both a leader and a mediator, guiding and settling disputes between the toys. A toy that sets high goals and does not let others come in the way of them, Woody is not afraid to speak his mind. Every child loves an honest figure, speaking only the truth. Children find his sarcastic tone such as when he says, “That wasn't flying, it was falling with style,” to not only be amusing, but also likeable. Unlike Buzz Lightyear, an astronaut filled with clouded fantasies of flying and traveling the galaxy, Woody keeps his dreams close to Earth. Woody, unlike Buzz, has common sense, and even directly tells Buzz, “You aren't the real Buzz Lightyear! You're-you're an action figure!” Buzz also makes many poor choices including trying to fly from the top of the stairs and leave Andy to go to a claw machine. Woody remains the level headed character throughout the movie. Even when Woody makes a mistake, he is able to admit he was wrong and not shy away from confrontation. Children would learn a lot more from Woody because he has strong, admirable characteristics and makes mistakes just like a normal human being. Just as sixty-six percent of American children from the ages of three to ten like cowboys more than space men, children should also consider Woody the best role model in Toy Story. If a child looks at Woody as a role model, he or she will be able to go “To Infinity and Beyond!”