Stop the Censors**p | Teen Ink

Stop the Censors**p

November 15, 2011
By Neon_Mystery BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Neon_Mystery BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Love Lives Forever"


Censorship is the suppression of speech or deletion of communicative material which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or inconvenient to the government or media organizations as determined by a censor. Arts are mostly censored because in some cases it "violates" international conventions of human rights. Some people believe that censoring is needed to protect society and to provide stability and peace in an environment(http://goodpoint.elc.polyu.edu.hk/?q=node/960&mapid=1805) But others believe that censorship attemptts to control the environment, tears the bridge between cultures and generations, and violates the 1st amendment. I am one of those people.

Censoring attemptts to control the environment. It keeps people from expressing who the really are, and changes them to be the way the government, or who ever is in charge, wants them to be. By censoring, the government is taking away our individuality, and humanity. If all art work, music, and books were the same that would make life very boring. What would be the point in reading a book when you already know what it's about, or listening to a song that you've heard a million times before, or going to see art work that you've seen so many times just in different forms? That's what it's going to come down to if every song that we listen to, book we read, and piece of artwork that we see if the government continues censoring.

Censoring arts attemptts to over ride our 1st amendment right free speech. The 1st amendment states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances. {http://topics.law.cornell.edu/constitution/billofrights}. " Censorship causes the radio stations to beep out curse words, words that are written by people, peoples' ideas, the amendment clearly states that that is not allowed. So is this what it is coming to, the Government seeing over laws? Is this really how we want our country to be run, with the government taking away your ideas? I don't think it's right.

I understand that censoring may be needed to protect society. I understand that censoring helps keep young children away from somewhat inappropriate things that could potentially scar them for life, but at sometimes it is way to extreme. At times censoring may be needed to provide stability and peace in an environment/ community. This is understandable because I know that I don't don't want to hear cuss words every 2 seconds on the radio, or see nudity in every picture that I see or sculpture that i look at.

Although I understand the other side's point of view doesn't me I agree with it.Some people say that censorship tears the bridge between cultures and generations , and I agree with them. When the government censors artwork such as, Birth of Veins by William Adolphe Bouguereau, God and Adam by Michelangelo, Gabrielle Distress and Her Sister the Duchess of Villars, and David by Michelangelo, they don't realize how that affects cultural knowledge for this generation. We no longer have the opportunities to learn about the history and culture behind these pieces of art, Just because there is nudity in them. That's not fair to us or the artists of these pieces.

To attempt to stop this insanity called censoring, stop censoring the future. Maybe then the books that we read, the music that we listen to, and art work that we go see, won't be limited. If you choose not to do this think about what you are causing, and stopping. Censorship attemptts to control the environment, tears the bridge between cultures and generations, and violates the 1st amendment, don't let it continue.