Anti- Bullying Act | Teen Ink

Anti- Bullying Act

By Kendall Eichen BRONZE, Flemington, New Jersey
Kendall Eichen BRONZE, Flemington, New Jersey

Help N.J. schools say bye to bullies.

It’s the classic movie scenario. A kid who can’t defend for himself suddenly finds the courage after a few months to defeat his bully. But does this happen in real life? The answer to that question is no. Bullying whether we like it or not has been a problem all over the country including New Jersey. Some “Jersians” have been wondering if anything’s even in effect to prevent against bullying. Parents all over the state for years have been wondering the same question. “Is my kid getting bullied?”

The new bill passed needs to be properly enforced because it will stop worried parents for having those horrid thoughts and put the victims at easy. Brought out and passed in January the act has been going on for a while, with little to no development of what could be. The bill is called, “The Anti-Bullying Bill of Rights Act” and is taking place in all N.J. school systems but little has been done thus far to take the next steps with this act. That being said, the school systems need to step up and make use of what’s given to them. Students often see the wrongs of school instead of the rights, and its time for a refreshing change to be made in the school systems. Even at home, parents are letting their kids watch the images that show bullying on the screens.
Watching on TV they see fights, harassment and other forms of bullying all the time but nothing is ever done about it. We assume they will brush it off and forget, often moving on to the next greatest or latest thing they watch or see. But is that the truth with media and technology so easily available? This is not the case, an average of 77% of students are being bullied mentally, verbally and physically according to how to stop bullying. Com. This certainly was the case for the poor boy attending Rutgers University in our home state of New Jersey. Nj.com states, Tyler Clementi was attacked in the form of cyber bullying and unfortunately lost his life due to the harassment and embarrassment of classmates, who supposedly are at a college level of maturity.
Is that what we want to happen more? This act that apparently is in effect states, “Mean any gesture, any written, verbal or physical act, or any electronic communication, whether it be a single incident or a series of incidents, that is reasonably perceived as being motivated by any actual or perceived characteristic, such as race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, or a mental, physical or sensory disability, or by any other distinguished characteristic, that takes place on school property, at any school- sponsored function, on a school bus, or off school grounds that substantially disrupts or interferes with the orderly operation of the school or the rights of other students”, according to NJ.com.
The bill that’s not being properly in effect is not living up to what’s being stated and we have the power to control that. Someone once told me, “Sometimes the smallest differences have the biggest impact,” a quote some people live by and is so small yet so powerful. If schools take even just the smallest step it will make everyone including the students feel better.
Do it for kids like Tyler.
The benefits can make you have Self gratuity, the feeling of accomplishment and reassurance knowing that one more kid can go to school without hesitation. Assemblyman Paul Moriarty of Washington Township said, “There are about 160,000 students (nationwide) who stay home from school because they fear bullying. That alone is enough reason to start the bill off and running in a constructive manner.
Next scene: school halls

This manner can range from anything, whether it be helping someone out in the hallways or reporting something anonymously that you see or know about. Laws like that need to be established, in order for kids and teachers to do the right things. This Act has so much potential and its not getting the respected attention it needs to show its true purpose. It was passed by legislation to have an impact and now that the little stuff is being done or should be done, the bigger stuff is soon to follow.
How-to- stop bullying.com speaks about how, every seven minutes a child is getting bullied with 85% of no intention. Bully happens more than we realize, we just have to wake and realize it. The sooner this nightmare for some students is over the better off everyone will be. I think we can all put ourselves in their shoes.
Once in our life whether we want to face it or not, we’ve all been picked one and just think of the way it made you feel. Now think of the feeling the kids who go through it everyday, having it be so bad that they don’t want to continue living. I can’t even fathom the feeling. There is no question that this act is greatly needed to be enforced by school boards and students alike.
The Anti-Bullying Act should be more effective and enforced in our school systems. Kids like Tyler should not have to resort to drastic means just to escape who they are and what they are dealing with. It’s the people who are getting bullied turn to not have to worry now; it’s their time to get revenge by passing this law. The chairman of the Garden States Equality, Steven Goldstein says, “The best revenge is making the world a kinder place.” Sometimes being the bigger person isn’t easy but it does pay off. We just have to remember, Cinderella got her prince, Simba became king and Sleeping Beauty woke up. Now it’s their turn for a happy ending. Do the right thing and support to push the Anit- Bullying act in the right direction.
“End of scene.”