Time to Grow Up | Teen Ink

Time to Grow Up

into_the_new_world_life BRONZE, Dededo, Other

I was always quite immature and it’s what I’m best known for. I still am now. But when I think about it, I’m already a junior in high school and I’m still acting like a kid. I’m just a few feet from going into the adult world. But for that reason, I have this uncertain feeling…I get this thought of what is going to happen to me when I step inside and I just stop dead in my tracks. I couldn’t move forward at all. I was scared to go any further. I guess I wasn’t ready to grow up yet. So I decided to be stay as a kid and put the whole becoming an adult thing on hold. I just couldn’t face it head on yet.
Then I started seeing changes around me. My friends who I joke and have fun with, started to change. One by one, I saw each of them becoming more mature little by little. I started to worry. Each time one of them started showing more of being an adult, they got even closer and closer to the adult world. I suddenly felt lonely and then I realized. I knew I couldn’t stay a kid forever. If I did, I would be left all alone while everyone else became an adult. I didn’t want that. I wanted to be with everyone else. I wanted to grow up too. Even if I feel like I’m not prepared to step into adulthood yet, I’ll just have to work at it by acting more and more like an adult throughout the years. I’ll just go it at my pace. Step by step, I’m heading into a new world with my friends.

This for the people who are scared to grow up. Maybe it might change your mind and encourage you to grow as well.